Hamilton's "Itinerarium"; was "Greetings & salutations"

  • Jim Sieradzki
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2001
      Hello, all:

      As Mr. Bell wrote, the "Itinerarium" is really fascinating, since the author
      took the time to describe not only things like road conditions and weather,
      but also the details of society he encountered, including details of town's
      fortifications, town halls, number and type of churches, etc. As Mr. Bell
      correctly stated, Hamilton's wit and sarcasm also make the book worth
      reading. (My favorite phrase he uses is "pseudosophia", used to describe
      some of the pompous self-proclaimed konw-it-alls he meets in his travels.)

      I also found it interesting to note the descriptions of tavern-talk; it
      seeme that just about every time Hamillton sat down to slake his thirst at a
      tavern, debate on religion (especially "New Light men"), science (especially
      physics) followed. Not to lose every reader, he does relate that many
      times, the discussions start off scholarly, then turn to bawdy jokes and
      tales.

      It doesn't sound that different from some of our campfire experiences at
      events, eh?

      Jim Sieradzki
      Pulaski's Independent Legion
      www.PulaskiLegion.org

      Date: Wed, 01 Aug 2001 15:24:17 -0000
      From: JnoLBell@...
      Subject: Re: More info on greetings & salutations

      <<<SNIP>>>
      This is one of my favorite accounts of 18th-century America. Dr.
      Hamilton was a keen observer, and he got to see several towns in the
      middle and northern colonies. He could be caustically witty about the
      people he met, but was also willing to note his own foibles.
      <<<SNIP>>>
      J. L. Bell JnoLBell@...