Re: Regimental Coats, Continental Army May 1779

  • BDodgeWeaver@AOL.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2001
      --- In Revlist@y..., turf1@v... wrote:
      > --- In Revlist@y..., BDodgeWeaver@A... wrote:
      >
      > Could the sources for this info be posted to the list? The actual
      > appearance of the "Lottery" coats as well as the later coats have
      > always been a mystery to me, and something I'd really like to learn
      > more about it. Cheers.
      > David McKissack, 7th VA

      My information on the Lottery Coats is from the paper by James L.
      Kochan, "The French-made 'Lottery' Uniforms of the Continental Army,
      1777-1779: Their Procurement, Distribution, Cut and Construction",
      presented at the March 23, 1996 Symposium entitled "Issued to the
      Troops: Military Uniforms of the Last Half of the 18th Century"
      sponsored by Tidy's Storehouse and the Winterthur Museum in
      Wilmington, DE. When the Tidy's were in active sutlering, they had
      copies of papers available for sale. Coat patterns including the
      variations for the Lottery Coats are avaiable from the BAR.

      To answer some other questions: The style of button (I think it is
      actually called a turrert back) is based on those found at
      Morristown, Middlebrook and Camp Reading; the length of the coats is
      based on primary sources regarding the lottery coats; the english
      style collar (without the little tab thing) is based upon the figure
      of a soldier holding his Excellency GW's horse in the Peale
      painting "Washington at Princeton" (Peale painted the portrait in
      1779 in Philadelphia, where he probably used a soldier from the Va.
      Line as a model). Measam's notation on the lottery coats and where
      they were sent, up to 12/1778, is located in the National Archive
      microfilm, RG93, M859, Item 27400. I strongly recommend Kochan's
      article. Regards -

      Thad Weaver
      German Rt.