Re: [Revlist] Re: Grice Locks

  • Tcolej@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2 10:48 AM
      List,
      I bought my Pedersoli bess maybe 5 years ago, and the lock was dreadful.
      The frizzen was so soft I couldn't even get a spark. The Mainspring broke on
      about the 10 attempt at firing it! The lock basically fell apart before my
      eyes! The gun it self was nice though. I told Dixie about the problem and
      they sent me a new lock free of charge, that fit perfectly, sparked great,
      and has caused me no trouble in the past years. As long as I keep a good
      flint in it, the word misfire is not in my dictionary. I happen to believe
      that Pedersoli is not the most reliable company though. I also have a Jap
      musket, which I am just in love with. She sparks great! However, I dont use
      it because the wood is this light tan color, and I haven't yet gotten sling
      swivels put in. I also have the Naraganset Fist model and the lock on that
      is supper! I just wish I was a bit bigger because that gun is a bit awkward
      for us smaller types.
      Regards,
      Cole Jones
    • edkennedy18thc@netscape.net
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 3 6:32 AM
        <I think it would take a little
        > > fitting.  However a handforged main spring would be very good and if
        > > someone will do it for $75.00 it would be worth a try.  I'm real
        > > suprised that someone could do it that cheap.>

        For anyone having a mainspring problem cntact Jim Cacso at: caspar@... Jim did a mainspring for a 20+ yr old Charleville for me and the custom fitted mainspring and tuning up of the lock ran half that. His springs are not scratch made but rather from stock that has oversixe placement pin etc which he can fit to your lock regardless of maker or age of the lock.

        Ed Kennedy, editor
        18th Century Life
        http://personal.globalnetisp.net/edkennedy