Re: Early Reenactments

  • John Seitz
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
      Dear List,

      Jim Sieradzki writes, in part: <<< > Is there any record of when the
      earliest reenactments of any event linked to the Revolutionary War took
      place? I'm assuming that there were recreations/reenactments in connection
      with the Centennial ... >>>

      Research in advance of the Bicentennial (anyone still remember that ? <G>)
      showed that, in Lexington, Mass., at least, in 1875 there was a grand
      pageant and parade of commemoration, but absolutely no
      recreation/reenactment.

      I suspect that, following so closely on a very bloody and fratricidal Civil
      War, there was about as much interest in those aspects as there would have
      been in recreating/reenacting Pearl Harbor in, say, 1951. (I have some
      friends who currently have some difficulty in understanding why someone
      would want to go about in a Waffen SS uniform, historically accurate or
      not...)

      (And I can tell you one that'll probably never be reenacted -- or even have
      battlefield tours -- and that's Korea. <G>)

      I have the Honour and Pleasure to Be, etc. -- John Seitz
    • arelismelius@hotmail.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 2, 2001
        > (And I can tell you one that'll probably never be reenacted -- or
        even have
        > battlefield tours -- and that's Korea. <G>)

        Actually John, it has been done. In October in Norfolk, Va, there
        was a massive reenactment of the Inchon Landings (landing craft and
        all). There are also battlefield tours available once a year.
        Vietnam and even Desert Storm can be added to your list of time
        periods too.

        Back to the 1st reenactments; I remember seeing a picture from the
        19th century when I was in college of reenactment of the Concord and
        Lexington shindig. Has anyone contacted historical societies in the
        Boston area? They could probably supply a great deal of information
        about these early gigs.

        Jason Melius