Grice Locks

  • Mlewishome@cs.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
      I have been in the hobby for 15 years. I have always liked the looks
      of the Jap Bess Lock better. I have also been told by numerous other
      hobbist to stay away from them because they are not as good as the
      Grice. I do know that the Grice lock is very reliable. Also if it
      breaks again you can get parts. I think it would take a little
      fitting. However a handforged main spring would be very good and if
      someone will do it for $75.00 it would be worth a try. I'm real
      suprised that someone could do it that cheap. I have been seeing
      Grice locks on eBay some for around $100.00. An entire Jap Bess went
      for $307.00 the other day. I just got my Naragansette Arms Long Land
      and I'm in love...
    • sschuyler59@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
        --- In Revlist@y..., Mlewishome@c... wrote:

        > I have also been told by numerous other
        > hobbist to stay away from them because they are not as good as the
        > Grice.

        I bought a Japanese kit about 10 years ago on the advice of several
        folks, some who were suppliers who had recently stopped selling
        the muskets themselves (and therefore had little to gain), that the
        Japanese lock was the more reliable. My experiance seems to back this
        up. I did have to replace a mainspring a couple of years ago.

        > I do know that the Grice lock is very reliable.

        I have seen several Italian Bess locks, particularly from about three
        years ago, coming brand new from the factory with soft frizzens and or
        very weak mainsprings.

        The last few new Pedersoli Bess I have seen have been fine and the
        "word on the street" is Pedersoli has any QC problems fixed.

        > Also if it
        > breaks again you can get parts.

        Sorta true. There is an older version of the Grice lock that some
        current parts will not fit. Pedersoli seems to do this on other locks
        too, God only knows why. The large Ketland repro that is on many
        "Hatfield" rifles has gone through a couple of versions as well.

        > I think it would take a little
        > fitting. However a handforged main spring would be very good and if
        > someone will do it for $75.00 it would be worth a try. I'm real
        > suprised that someone could do it that cheap.

        Micheal Lea and Daughter, Gunsmiths, qouted me $50.00 installed
        three years ago. I guessed at a 50% inflation but I could be way off.

        > I have been seeing
        > Grice locks on eBay some for around $100.00.

        I got the $150 price from a two year old Dixie catalog. $100 for a
        new, working, Bess lock is a good deal.

        Given the lack of parts for the Japanese lock, if the italian can be
        made to fit, it may be an option.

        > I just got my Naragansette Arms Long Land

        The Naraganstte arms I have seen look super. Enjoy!

        Kevin Richard-Morrow
        @nd Albany County Militia
      • Tcolej@aol.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 2, 2001
          List,
          I bought my Pedersoli bess maybe 5 years ago, and the lock was dreadful.
          The frizzen was so soft I couldn't even get a spark. The Mainspring broke on
          about the 10 attempt at firing it! The lock basically fell apart before my
          eyes! The gun it self was nice though. I told Dixie about the problem and
          they sent me a new lock free of charge, that fit perfectly, sparked great,
          and has caused me no trouble in the past years. As long as I keep a good
          flint in it, the word misfire is not in my dictionary. I happen to believe
          that Pedersoli is not the most reliable company though. I also have a Jap
          musket, which I am just in love with. She sparks great! However, I dont use
          it because the wood is this light tan color, and I haven't yet gotten sling
          swivels put in. I also have the Naraganset Fist model and the lock on that
          is supper! I just wish I was a bit bigger because that gun is a bit awkward
          for us smaller types.
          Regards,
          Cole Jones
        • edkennedy18thc@netscape.net
          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 3, 2001
            <I think it would take a little
            > > fitting.  However a handforged main spring would be very good and if
            > > someone will do it for $75.00 it would be worth a try.  I'm real
            > > suprised that someone could do it that cheap.>

            For anyone having a mainspring problem cntact Jim Cacso at: caspar@... Jim did a mainspring for a 20+ yr old Charleville for me and the custom fitted mainspring and tuning up of the lock ran half that. His springs are not scratch made but rather from stock that has oversixe placement pin etc which he can fit to your lock regardless of maker or age of the lock.

            Ed Kennedy, editor
            18th Century Life
            http://personal.globalnetisp.net/edkennedy