Re: British Army Online

  • John Seitz
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      Dear List,

      Regarding the posting <<< > WANTED Contributors for a new Web Site,
      British Army Online. This site will focus on the British Army between
      1750-1815. ... >>>, could someone please point out to the creator of this
      website that a slightly less insular approach to titling might be, er, more
      appropriate, as the extant British Army already has a very nice web site of
      its own ? Something in the title perhaps making it clear that it's
      unofficial and dealing with a specific historical period is suggested.

      I ask because just last week a teen-ager in, I believe, Ohio, initiated a
      Parachute Regiment website, despite the regiment having its own with that
      title which is used by many ex-Paras for contacts and information. (Seems
      he thinks Paras are grand and wants to talk to some, which is nice, but a
      number of old comrades are not too taken with the confusion generated by
      this fan club.)

      It is important, because I've always found the Army to be most cooperative
      in handling requests for information, etc., whether electronic or paper,
      and would not want to see their attitude towards reenactors and unofficial
      historians change.

      Thanks -- John Seitz