Re: [Revlist] First reenactments

  • John White
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Jim

      I recall seeing a photo of US soldiers "recreating" one of the more important battles without benefit of any
      historical costumes, using 1903 Rifles, wearing campaign hats, etc. I think it took place during the
      Sesquicentennial (around 1926). All I recall was that the photo was probably reproduced during the Bicentennial,
      probably in the "American Rifleman", the magazine of the NRA.

      By the way, I put "sesquicentennial american revolution" into my search engine, and found a few distantly related
      hits. One that may be of interest to the readership, offers lots of original period books. Of particular note, was a
      British publication of 1781, listing ALL their officers who served during the Revolution. If you want to buy this,
      go to http://www.hrkahnbooks.com/CAT57AC.HTML

      John White
      Avalon Forge
      Baltimore

      Jim Sieradzki wrote:

      > Hello, all:
      >
      > I've been invited to speak to a local DAR group about reenactments (how
      > they work, the research involved, etc.), and it started me wondering (I
      > also thought it would be interesting for the presentation):
      >
      > Is there any record of when the earliest reenactments of any event linked
      > to the Revolutionary War took place? I'm assuming that there were
      > recreations/reenactments in connection with the Centennial, but are there
      > any specific references to earlier commemorations? I'm not particularly
      > interested in parades, dedication ceremonies, etc., but something more akin
      > to a portrayal of a battle, etc.
      >
      > Thanks in advance,
      >
      > Jim Sieradzki
      > Pulaski's Independent Legion
      > www.PulaskiLegion.org
      > ModernJim@...
    • Bart Reynolds
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        John & List,

        That is a 1781 edition of the Army List. Albeit that it is purported to
        be General Alexander Leslie's annotated copy a price of $16,750 (USD) is
        a bit steep. The binding appears to be just the normal original one
        that is encountered with most editions of the Army List.

        Bart Reynolds