First reenactments

  • Jim Sieradzki
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
      Hello, all:

      I've been invited to speak to a local DAR group about reenactments (how
      they work, the research involved, etc.), and it started me wondering (I
      also thought it would be interesting for the presentation):

      Is there any record of when the earliest reenactments of any event linked
      to the Revolutionary War took place? I'm assuming that there were
      recreations/reenactments in connection with the Centennial, but are there
      any specific references to earlier commemorations? I'm not particularly
      interested in parades, dedication ceremonies, etc., but something more akin
      to a portrayal of a battle, etc.

      Thanks in advance,

      Jim Sieradzki
      Pulaski's Independent Legion
      www.PulaskiLegion.org
      ModernJim@...
    • John White
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
        Jim

        I recall seeing a photo of US soldiers "recreating" one of the more important battles without benefit of any
        historical costumes, using 1903 Rifles, wearing campaign hats, etc. I think it took place during the
        Sesquicentennial (around 1926). All I recall was that the photo was probably reproduced during the Bicentennial,
        probably in the "American Rifleman", the magazine of the NRA.

        By the way, I put "sesquicentennial american revolution" into my search engine, and found a few distantly related
        hits. One that may be of interest to the readership, offers lots of original period books. Of particular note, was a
        British publication of 1781, listing ALL their officers who served during the Revolution. If you want to buy this,
        go to http://www.hrkahnbooks.com/CAT57AC.HTML

        John White
        Avalon Forge
        Baltimore

        Jim Sieradzki wrote:

        > Hello, all:
        >
        > I've been invited to speak to a local DAR group about reenactments (how
        > they work, the research involved, etc.), and it started me wondering (I
        > also thought it would be interesting for the presentation):
        >
        > Is there any record of when the earliest reenactments of any event linked
        > to the Revolutionary War took place? I'm assuming that there were
        > recreations/reenactments in connection with the Centennial, but are there
        > any specific references to earlier commemorations? I'm not particularly
        > interested in parades, dedication ceremonies, etc., but something more akin
        > to a portrayal of a battle, etc.
        >
        > Thanks in advance,
        >
        > Jim Sieradzki
        > Pulaski's Independent Legion
        > www.PulaskiLegion.org
        > ModernJim@...
      • Bart Reynolds
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1, 2001
          John & List,

          That is a 1781 edition of the Army List. Albeit that it is purported to
          be General Alexander Leslie's annotated copy a price of $16,750 (USD) is
          a bit steep. The binding appears to be just the normal original one
          that is encountered with most editions of the Army List.

          Bart Reynolds