Re: 22nd Regiment officers' inventories

  • Don N. Hagist
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 4, 2001
      I know a bit about the 22d Regiment, and these inventories.
      As some background, William Stapleton was the surgeon's mate
      of the 22d. George Cleghorn was a volunteer with the 22d when
      they set sail for American from Cork in May of 1775. While in
      transit, the one officer of the regiment who was already in America,
      Lt. Col. James Abercrombie, was killed while commanding a
      grenadier battalion at Bunker Hill. The promotions resulting from
      this loss left a vacant ensigncy, which Cleghorn filled. So, at the
      time that Cleghorn (the son of a Dublin physician) packed the baggage
      in question, he was a volunteer - he had no rank at all.
      This baggage that was inventoried left Ireland after the rest of the
      regiment. Cleghorn and Stapleton certainly had some other baggage in
      their possession, so we can be sure that this inventoried stuff was not
      all of their worldly goods. The ship carrying this baggage, along with
      the 1775 clothing for the 22d and 40th Regiments, sailed a few weeks
      after the rest of the regiment, probably because the clothing wasn't
      ready when the regiment sailed. The ship with the clothing accidentally

      put into Philadelphia (remember, news of the start of the war had not
      reached England when these regiments departed) as was captued. The
      clothing was siezed for use by the American army, but the officers'
      baggage,
      being their personal possessions, was sent to them in Boston. Before
      sending
      it, the Americans were kind enough to inventory it, probably to help
      prevent
      theft in transit. Today, these inventories survive in the Pennsylvania
      Archives.
      Now, on to the questions:

      What is a canvas Portmanteau....what I mean is it canvas over leather or
      all canvas....and how does one make a canvas portmanteau. (belonging to
      George Cleghorn 22nd reg't): It is a piece of luggage, of course; I
      assume that it was in
      fact entirely of canvas, since that is how it is described; I have no
      other informatin
      on it.

      What is Rattinet.....on the list George Cleghorn was in possession of 5
      3/4 yds. BUFF rattinet: A course woolen cloth, similar to Ratteen but
      lighter in weight. The most
      likely use, in this case, was for a suit of small clothes; the 22d was a
      buff regiment,
      meaning that their small clothes, as well as the facings etc. of the
      coats, were buff.

      What is a chittering? William Stapleton, 22nd reg't was in possession
      of one(and it's listed as OLD): One meaning is pig guts (chitlins), but
      in this context it is a ruffle.
      Probably a shirt ruffle.

      What is Casimer? Both officers had Breeches and weskits made of it:
      Cashmir is
      a worsted woolen cloth. Nicer than rattinette.

      Hemp Stockings for Crown Officers??? They are listed as having 6 pr.
      Brown hemp stockings: Stockings made of hemp (similar to linen). Great
      for use in the field.
      Remember that these guys were prepared for campaigning as well as
      foppery.

      Also, both officers, in their possessions....which included all the
      luxuries of home.....had
      bundles of old rags..what for?: Keeping everything else clean and tidy.
      Ever try to
      clean your musket without a rag? Or polish something? Again, these
      guys packed
      what they needed to live in an encampment.

      William Stapleton, 22nd Reg't.......2 pr. work'd ruffles.......what are
      they?: Similar
      to chitterlings. Probably for shirts.

      Now here's an interesting one....."one large chest, containing; field
      bedstead, mattress, a
      suit of curtains, 1 pr. blankets,bolster and pillow". That has got to
      be one BIG chest. The field bedstead......anybody have plans for a
      correct field bedstead?: Field
      besteads are pretty common in officers' inventories.

      In the possessions of George Cleghorn, 22nd Reg't.... 1 childs gun...any
      clues on this?:
      Unfortunately, I don't know Cleghorn's age; he was a Lieutenant by 1778,
      and there
      is no reason to believe that he younger than his mid-teens in 1775. I
      don't know if
      this is a toy gun, or the period equivalent of a .22 rifle from KMart,
      junior's first
      gun. I suspect that it is the latter - something that this young
      gentleman had
      available to take with him to America, before having a commission and
      laying
      out serious cash for a fusee. But that is strictly a guess.

      --
      Don N. Hagist, 22d. Regt. F.; dhagist@...
      An excellent selection of books on the Revolutionary War