To poise, or recover, that is the question?

  • umfspock87@cs.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
      Dear List,

      I have a question about the motions in firing according to von Steuben.
      On pg. 16 of his 1794 facimile reprint edition of the drill manual, under "
      The Manual Exercise" the very first command is Poise Firelock ( two
      motions). Next is cock firelock, followed by aim and then fire.

      But on pg. 28 & 29, in discussing the "position of each rank in the
      firings" followed by the command " Front Rank! Make Ready! ( one motion) he
      says..... "Come to the recover...".
      and then proceeds to describe that position.
      The same process is repeated for the rear rank.

      I understand the difference between poise firelock and recover firelock,
      my real question is, how do we know which method, poise - aim - fire or
      recover - aim - fire
      it is?
      On a slightly different note, on pg. 26 , in describing the Prime and
      Load command it seems that we are again suppose to come to the recover,
      then bring the firelock down to the priming position and then, open pan.
      It seems to me that the recover motion is often overlooked and most people
      go directly to the priming position. My question though, is that to do it
      correctly, should we go through all three motions at the proper pace?

      I realize that there may be some disagreement regarding the answers to
      my questions. What I'm searching for is more of a consensus than total
      agreement.
      I simply want to " get the drill right", so I've come to the list to seek
      it's collective wisdom.

      Sincerely,

      Mike Cecere 7th VA
    • Smithmdlt@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 2, 2001
        Mike
        Come to the 1st VA drill sessions that are scheduled on through several
        weekends later this month. We will get into the technical questions as to
        battlefield and the drill by the numbers. Vince Hawkins can give you the
        heads up for further info if you like. For the list, sorry for the one way
        converse here.
        Marshall Smith