Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

225 years ago today in the South - Norfolk, Virginia

Expand Messages
  • Patrick J OKelley
    Norfolk, Virginia 1 – 2 January 1776 On the 14th of December Colonel Robert Howe took control of the Virginia and North Carolinian force and marched into
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 1, 2001
    • 0 Attachment
      Norfolk, Virginia
      1 – 2 January 1776
      On the 14th of December Colonel Robert Howe took control of the Virginia
      and North Carolinian force and marched into Norfolk. Colonel Howe's
      commission predated Woodford's. With a combined force of about a thousand
      men, Woodford moved to Norfolk, while he left Thomas Marshall in charge
      at Great Bridge. A standoff ensued between Dunmore, aboard his
      man-of-war, and Woodford, firmly in control of the land.
      Most of the loyalists who still remained ashore at Norfolk had moved to
      Dunmore's floating town anchored in the Elizabeth River. The Patriot
      reinforcements lined the harbor and harassed the British by sniping from
      deserted buildings along the Norfolk shore. In retaliation, Dunmore sent
      raiding parties, including the Ethiopian Regiment, to several shore
      locations to kill, capture or drive away the snipers. Each raid redoubled
      the sniping.
      Colonel Howe refused to allow provisions to go out to the enemy vessels
      anchored in the harbor, crowded with Loyalist refugees. British foraging
      parties were sent back under heavy fire. Dunmore announced that he would
      begin bombardment of the town on New Years Day. Howe requested more time
      so that he could evacuate the women and children of the town. Dunmore
      On New Year's Day 1776, Norfolk was rocked by a series of explosions. At
      four o’clock in the afternoon the British began a seven hour bombardment
      of the town. Every vessel in Dunmore's squadron began "a severe
      cannonade" which lasted until two o'clock the next morning. The
      Continentals were stationed on the shore and many had to stand duty for
      48 hours. Many of the North Carolinians became bored and taunted the
      British ships by making lewd and obscene gestures. Landing parties came
      ashore and set fire to parts of the city that had not been hit by the
      bombardment. Another landing party dragged a field piece into the center
      of town, but was driven back to their boats. The British continued their
      bombardment until 2:00 A.M. on January 2nd. The fires burned for two days
      and four-fifths of the town was reduced to ashes.
      The forces under Dunmore and Woodford both started fires. Some were a
      direct result of Dunmore's bombardment; others were set to clear out
      houses and buildings being used for cover by both sides. Some of the
      fires were "allowed to be spread" to Tory owned businesses and houses. By
      the second of January, four fifths of Virginia’s largest city lay
      smoldering on the ground.
      Howe had nearly restored order, when a second major bombardment hit the
      city on January 21. Three Virginians were killed in the attack, two of
      which were from Abraham Buford's company. A fourth man had his arm
      smashed. Howe recommended to the Virginia Convention that rest of Norfolk
      be destroyed due to the suitability of the town as a British base. The
      Convention agreed and the remainder of Norfolk was put to the torch.
      Government officials in Williamsburg did mind the loss of such an
      important port, since they thought it was a "nest of Tories."
      Dunmore, content with the havoc he had wrought, sailed his little fleet
      up the Chesapeake. .
    Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.