Subalterns with firelocks

  • Neil Skorka
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 31, 2000
      Dear everybody,

      got in from Trenton today....I've never had that much
      fun playing in the snow...big thank you to everybody
      who came and made it fun, especially the Guards who
      braved the weather to come up from the South. Now on
      to my question.
      It was mentioned during the discussion on lieutenants
      and ensigns that in the Continental army the
      subalterns carried firelocks and the captains
      spontoons. My question is: Was there a seperate way
      of performing the manual of arms for the lieutenant?
      In the european armies there is usally a seperate way
      for an officer with a firelock to carry it and
      perform the manual with it. Was this
      the case with the Continental army, and does Von
      Steuben give a section about it?

      Neil Skorka

      =====
      Neil A Skorka