Re: [Revlist] Brick Dust?

  • ByTheProlong@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 1, 2000
      Bricks were a tradable commodity imported to the Colonies during our period.
      Having been a home wrecker by trade, I have learned to recognize ballast
      bricks by sight. A local ship bringing lumber to England would be returning
      empty unless a prior negotiated load had been arranged. An empty hold would
      make the ship top heavy. Rather than carry back a load of rocks, English
      pavers or sidewalk bricks could pay for the return voyage. The English pavers
      also had the advantage of being made of a fine hard clay. They would stand up
      to abuse better than the local sand bricks.
      So I might speculate that a crushed porcelain mug or plate might also give
      you a grittier rouge.

      Ed Magiera
      Knox Artillery CL
      ByTheProlong@...