Re: [Revlist] well-dressed Marines

  • Bart Reynolds
    Message 1 of 10 , Dec 1, 2000
      List,

      I believe the first prescribed uniform for the Continental Marines was
      directed in September of 1776 by the Marine Committee of the Continental
      Congress to be as follows:

      A Green Coat faced with white, Round Cuffs, Slash'd Sleeves and
      Pockets; with Buttons round the Cuff, Silver Epaulett on the right
      Shoulder --- Skirts turn's back, Buttons to suit the Facings.

      White waistcoat and Brieches edged with Green, Black Gaiters & Garters.

      Green shirts for the Men if they can be procured.

      [Uniform of Naval and Marine Officers, September 5th, 1776. John Paul
      Jones Papers, Library of Congress.]

      The order leaves a great deal to the imagination and seems directed
      primarily at the uniform for officers. I cannot recall that there was
      an order changing the facings of the Continental Marines from white to
      red. Red facings were worn by United States Marines from the earliest
      days of that organization but should not be confused with the
      Continental Marines of the period of the AWI.

      I don't recall ever seeing anything to indicate that the prescribed
      "green shirts" were ever issued. However, it has been along time since
      I looked at the question of uniforms for the Continental Marines and
      more recent work may have yielded better and more complete information.

      Bart Reynolds