On elections

  • Patrick J OKelley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2000
      The right of annual elections will ever oblige gentlemen to speak to you
      once a year, who would despise you forever, were it not that you can
      bestow something upon them.
      Lying is so vulgar a failing that no gentleman would have any thing to
      say to it but at elections. Then, indeed, the greatest gentleman in the
      city will condescend to lie with the least of us. This year their
      humility is amazing, for they have stooped to the drudgery of going from
      house to house to circulate election lies about division of property.
      In a word, electioneering and aristocratical pride are incompatible, and
      if ever we should have gentlemen to come down to our level, we must guard
      our right of election effectually, and not let the assembly take it out
      of our hands.

      Pennsylvania Evening Post, April 27, 1776

      Patrick O'Kelley
      goober.com@...
      2nd Regiment of the North Carolina Line
      http://www.2nc.org/