Re: [[Revlist] WAFFLES?]

  • Ben Carlos Jr.
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 5, 2000
      At 11:09 AM 11/5/00 -0500, you wrote:
      >dwoolsey@... wrote:
      >
      ><Just a small question. When did waffles enter the American
      >kitchen, especially in Maryland?>
      >
      >During our time period. " . . . waffle iron . . . came into fashion at the
      >end of the colonial period . . ." from Colonial Virginia Cookery by Jane
      >Carson.

      Dear List:
      Sorry, I meant to post sooner. But... waffle irons were here in the colonies
      much earlier. They appear in Dutch inventories as early as the mid -17th
      Century. The waffle is a definite Dutch food. It may have taken a while to
      cross over to the "English" tastes, but the NY-NJ Dutch were useing them for
      well over 100 years! The cookbook, "The Sensible Cook - Dutch Foodways in the
      Old and the New World" originally printed in the mid 17th Century in Holland ;
      translated and edited by Peter G. Rose offers on page 76 the following:

      To Fry Waffles.
      For each pound of wheat-flour take a pint of sweet-milk, a little tin bowl of
      melted Butter with 3 or 4 eggs, a spoonful of Yeast well stirred together.

      Enjoy-
      Ben Carlos
      1st Ulster Co. Militia, NY State-1776