Katcher's book and NC troops

  • Patrick J OKelley
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 1, 2000
      Howdy,

      >Generally, it seems that North Carolina troops were extremely poorly
      clothed
      >for much of the war. Various descriptions put the enlisted men in
      hunting
      >shirts and overalls, and the officers in coats. Katcher says with a bit
      of
      >sarcasm that North Carolina seemed to have its clothing problems
      smoothed
      >out by January, 1783, because by that time the remaining regiments were
      well
      >clothed.

      I was looking for Leffert's descriptions so that I could find some
      primary stuff. Unfortunately Katcher has research that was compatible
      for the Bicentennial. Lots of stuff has surfaced since then. Katcher
      has the NC troops wearing hunting frocks virtually the entire war, but
      they had some pretty good uniform issues around 1778 and 1779. That is
      what I'm looking for. Don't rely on Katcher, newer stuff has come to
      light.

      Patrick O'Kelley
      goober.com@...
      2nd Regiment of the North Carolina Line