Re: [Revlist] Re: How to roll Catridges?

  • Jay Callaham
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 3, 2000
      From: "Todd Post" <tpost@...>
      To: <Revlist@egroups.com>
      Sent: Wednesday, August 02, 2000 12:16 PM
      Subject: Re: [Revlist] Re: How to roll Catridges?

      > 180? Yikes! I'm sure some would say that is a safety concern, but for me
      > it's more of a waste of powder. There is a point of diminishing return
      > where the "pop" is as loud as it's going to get without ramming.

      Generally I try to stay at about 110 to 120 in a Bess. The reason is that at
      that loading I get a noticeable recoil and KNOW when it's gone off or not in
      a good volley. That helps prevent double loading. More than that does pretty
      much as Todd says - not much more sound until you get the distinctive "boom"
      of a severe overload. Less than that and it's easy to not notice a misfire
      if a good volley goes off. I don't always think to look for smoke coming
      from the touchole after each round, but I DO notice recoil or lack of same.

      Jay
      4th Coy, Bde of Guards
      jay-callaham@...
      "If you do not receive this, it must have miscarried, therefore I beg you
      write and let me know." Sir Boyle Roche, 18th century Irish MP with a
      vision!