RE: [Revlist] Digest Number 1111

  • Graydon, Ed
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 3, 2000
      Edward Graydon
      Naval Facilities Engineering Command
      voice 202-685-9403 fax 202-685-1676
      graydonce@...
      ekgraydn@...

      Robert Davis <davisr1@...> responded:
      > Pardon, My Dear Sir, however you forget the Royal Regiment of
      > Artillery, ......

      I had the pleasure to visit with the Colonel Commanding (officer) COL Roy D.
      Lauth, of the Newport (RI) Artillery about three weeks ago.

      Although the company did not participate at Minden, it is one of the few
      military companies that existed during the AWI and is recognized as a
      military unit today.

      The Artillery Company of Newport, chartered in 1741 by King George II of
      Great Britain, is today a ceremonial unit of the Rhode Island Militia,
      Council of Historic Military Commands.

      During the AWI the company split and members faught on both sides. The unit
      is still chartered as an Army Reseve unit today. It is an "inactive
      reserve" guard unit which means it can be reactivated and called to active
      duty.

      Visit their website: http://www.newportartillery.org/

      Interesting place to visit. If you are ever in Newport RI drop by and see
      them.

      Respectfully,
      Ed in northern VA