Re: [Revlist] Hunting frocks / rifle shirts

  • thomas Gore
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2 7:04 PM
      List

      I'm confident in my original thought- I think hunting shirts were not the
      loose, flowing long garments we tend to see at events. The most famous
      surviving shirt I believe at Newburg (the one with all the fringe) is
      admittedly not a very typical garment, but the sleeves are extensively
      pleated to draw them in close to the arm. The tailor and wearer obviously
      were concerned about keeping the sleeves out of the way.

      I will disagree also that tailoring is not being done on hunting shirts. In
      the orderly book of the Va army in Williamsburg (entry for Oct 11 1775) the
      men are to be issued clothand thread to make their own shirts- not being
      issued a standard "one size fits all garment."

      The biggest misunderstanding we carry about hunting shirts is that we fail
      to realize these garments are, in most cases, uniforms. IN VA at the very
      least, the soldiers were given hunting shirts becasue there was not the time
      and/or resources to make proper coats. However, they are doing the best
      they can in making a soldierly and uniform garment.

      Read deserter descriptions from early war and note the different types of
      striped, checked, etc hunting shirts that are overdyed to match a company's
      or regiemnts color. These garments are clearly uniforms- made not only to
      be a functional garment- but look good on the man wearing it (the same way a
      properly fitted regimental is) not like potato sack.

      Just because men are carrying things in their shirts doesn't mean you could
      rig a ship with the cloth, and I will continue to caution against making
      hunting shirts too voluminous.

      Will