Re: Rifle shirts

  • glenn and georgeanne valis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      I know only a little about 'riflemen's shirts" or hunting shirts, but I know
      that we may have a confusion here about shirts and shirts.
      An 18th Century shirt is loose, blousy, long nearly to the knees. Fitting the
      same description, but being an overgarment, is a work smock. (You can not always
      tell the difference at a glance).
      A rifle man's shirt, hunting shirt or hunting frock is not the same thing as a
      shirt. It was an overgarment, a type of jacket actually.
      Is that expert on the same page you are on "shirts"? Most riflemen's
      frocks/coats are tailored more like a jacket, at least those I have seen. I
      don't know if there is a difference between a riflemen's shirt and frock/
      hunting coat. Usually a "rifleman" thingamajig has a cape and fringe, thats how
      I spot'em!

      --
      Your humble servant,

      Glenn Valis