Re: Royal Navy

  • glenn and georgeanne valis
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 2, 2000
      > Leadership in the navy was adequate for the task. Technological
      > advances were eagerly embraced during the era, such as hull coppering and
      > adoption of the carronade, indicating progressive leadership.(3) Tactical
      > innovations came about as admirals increasingly gained the courage to
      > ignore
      > doctrine and break the enemy line, forcing a more decisive melee. This
      > trend
      > eventually led to Aboukir Bay and Trafalgar.(4)

      This is not the Royal Navy I have read about! This is not the navy with the
      Rules of Engagement written down, a legal document requiring the leadership to
      form line of ships. They convicted one Admiral for not following the doctrine.
      This had a severe effect on the leadership.
      Plus, most of the Admirals were Whigs, (or rather, opposing party members) and
      would not take the job of fighting the Americans.
      This is the Navy that did not make it a standard to provide anti- scurvy
      foods, even though by this time it was well understood that fresh fruit, etc,
      prevented it.
      It was stodgy and traditionalist.
      Didn't Nelson come to fame by defying orders and breaking the line to attack?
      "What flag, I don't see any flag!" or somesuch, as he looked through his blind
      eye.
      Speaking of flags, the signal system was apparently abysmal.

      --
      Your humble servant,

      Glenn Valis
      Outwater's Militia