RE: [Revlist] Re: How to roll Cartridges?

  • John Thornton
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2000
      I've found that making one end of the dowel about 1/4" to 3/8" concave
      allows you to do a quick 'shotgun' crimp, no glue needed. (I used a pocket
      knife for the first attempt, but a drill bit works best.)
      Simply twist the end of the cartridge after rolling, hit it on the
      tabletop to crimp, and you've got a tube. I stack the empty tubes in a box
      for later filling.
      After the tube is filled with your normal load of powder, fold it like
      the French style, and for longer term storage with no powder loss, tuck the
      tail in to the seam. At first, it seems a little harder, but with practice
      it's easy, no glue needed, and they can take a lot of abuse without coming
      apart.
      Another trick for doing this at home is to use a short piece of PVC
      pipe, 1/2" to 5/8" as your forming tube. The opening in the pipe makes a
      great crimp too, if you can get over using PVC to roll cartridges. ;-)

      John Thornton

      Loyalist Militia of Chatham County

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 2, 2000
        John

        Thanks for the tip. For those of you who are all thumbs as to making a cartridge former, we offer wood ones that have a
        convex end for normal blank making and a concave end for loading ball. I suspect that using the concave end as you
        suggest will work fine. By the way, we supply a copy of the illustrated directions with the former.

        John White
        Avalon Forge
        Baltimore