Re: [Revlist] Rifleman shirts

  • Atlatl53@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 1, 2000
      I just came from the BAR event at Ft Ticonderoga and I saw both tight fitting
      and loose fitting rifle shirts. I tend to agree that a rifleman might have
      been in a (formal) company and been issued a shirt that was a bit tailored
      but if you can find documentation for loose fitting and choose to wear it,
      then by all means do so. It's out there. All of us are not the same size,One
      of the reasons I saw tight fitting shirts,and documentation seems to point to
      a standard size. If you were larger, it was a bit snug, if smaller, a bit
      loose.
      As long as it's not made of spandex.
      I jest, of course, but you as an individual, as long as authentic, should
      choose how well your uniform fits. My sleeves on my regimental are a bit
      frayed, a bit short, but that's because I got a hand me down coat from a
      pool. My pants though supposing to be buckskin are wool instead because of my
      preference for wool. (like my independent ancester). Also, it's what he had.
      You seem to be doing ok and in looking for help with this persona, you're on
      the right track. Good luck

      T. Pray
      1st regt Green Mtn Ranger
    • Tom Jena
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 5, 2000
        Don,
        Your'e right as usual, my question badly worded...should have included
        below.

        >From: "Frank Fusco" <frankf@...>

        >Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2000 13:04:12 -0000
        >A major point of contention revolves around the shirt. I have been
        >re-enacting the Rifleman for almost 30 years and have read much about this
        >individual and his dress. My reading indicates that most of them wore what
        >they had. That includes home-made shirts and hand-me-downs. The usual style
        >was an oversized drop-sleeve. Baggy with blousy sleeves.

        This was the point of my question to Frank and list earlier.
        1. Outer 'smock"type
        2. Inner or everday shirt

        Sorry, for the confusion...been a long week.

        Tom Jena
        aka.: Thomas Kirlin, Surgeon's Mate
        "Beer is living proof that God loves us."- Ben Franklin