Handles

  • Laurence Todd
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 17, 2000
      Is there anyone out there in e-land who makes period proper axe handles?
      Without going into gruesome details, my favorite axe needs to get a proper
      18th century handle and it is not the right size for anything available
      locally.

      Laurence Todd
      Detached Hospital, BAR
    • ebolton123
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 17, 2013
        List,
        Re-doing a couple of period chests and I was wondering if anyone had some contacts for good strong forged bail-type handles?
        All the ones I find from companies online are really whimpy, and look like that really awful fake hand-wrought stuff with black BBQ grill paint on them. I want some really ugly blacksmith looking buggers!
        Cheers,
        Bob Bolton
      • catsewg
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 17, 2013
          Can you describe better? what size, shape, etc. Maybe a pic of something similar to what you are needing. Let me know, Cathy

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "ebolton123" <ebolton123@...> wrote:

          > List,
          > Re-doing a couple of period chests and I was wondering if anyone had some contacts for good strong forged bail-type handles?
          > All the ones I find from companies online are really whimpy, and look like that really awful fake hand-wrought stuff with black BBQ grill paint on them. I want some really ugly blacksmith looking buggers!
          > Cheers,
          > Bob Bolton

        • sgt42rhr
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 17, 2013
            Bob, if you want blacksmith made handles then you'll need to get those
            made. Jymm Hoffman does good work, and I know there are countless others out
            there as well. Here is a link to a chest I made recently that a friend
            made handles for.

            http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
            humbnails&album=669

            BTW, the ones you describe as really wimpy are in fact period correct and
            can be seen on many originals.

            The now defunct Trunk Shoppe used to carry good ones. You can see images
            of those on a couple of trunks I made.

            http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
            humbnails&album=518

            and

            http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
            humbnails&album=507

            Cheers,
            John

            John M. Johnston
            There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.

            --- In _Revlist@yahoogroups.com_ (mailto:Revlist@yahoogroups.com) ,
            "ebolton123" <ebolton123@...> wrote:

            > List,
            > Re-doing a couple of period chests and I was wondering if anyone had
            some contacts for good strong forged bail-type handles?
            > All the ones I find from companies online are really whimpy, and look
            like that really awful fake hand-wrought stuff with black BBQ grill paint on
            them. I want some really ugly blacksmith looking buggers!
            > Cheers,
            > Bob Bolton

          • sgt42rhr
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 17, 2013
              Sorry, let's try that again.

              http://tinyurl.com/k2wlfqc

              http://tinyurl.com/lf9c5v3

              http://tinyurl.com/2bjylyr
              Cheers,
              John

              John M. Johnston
              There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                John,
                Yes! The handles on the icebox chest look like exactly what I'm looking for!
                How do I get 4?
                Cheers,
                Bob

                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Sgt42RHR@... wrote:

                > Sorry, let's try that again.
                >

                > http://tinyurl.com/k2wlfqc
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/lf9c5v3
                >
                > http://tinyurl.com/2bjylyr
                > Cheers,
                > John
                >
                > John M. Johnston
                > There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.
                >

                > In a message dated 6/17/2013 8:43:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                > Sgt42RHR@... writes:
                >
                > http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
                > humbnails&album=669
                >
                > BTW, the ones you describe as really wimpy are in fact period correct and
                > can be seen on many originals.
                >
                > The now defunct Trunk Shoppe used to carry good ones. You can see images
                > of those on a couple of trunks I made.
                >
                > http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
                > humbnails&album=518
                >
                > and
                >
                > http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
                > humbnails&album=507

              • sgt42rhr
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Bob,

                  Go to a blacksmith of your choice, show him a picture, and order 4. Jymm
                  Hoffman is one good one (he may be on this list)
                  http://www.hoffmansforge.com/ There are certainly others who may be on this list, or who can be
                  recommended by those on this list. You are in a section of the country, and
                  you probably go to events (or can co to events) where there are blacksmiths.
                  Rendezvous type events are usually a good place to find working
                  blacksmiths. Get your desired measurements, show them a picture of what you want,
                  and order 4. That's what I would do.

                  Cheers,
                  John

                  John M. Johnston
                  There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.

                  Sgt42RHR@... wrote:

                  > Sorry, let's try that again.
                  >

                  > http://tinyurl.com/k2wlfqc
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/lf9c5v3
                  >
                  > http://tinyurl.com/2bjylyr
                  > Cheers,
                  > John
                  >
                  > John M. Johnston
                  > There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.
                  >

                  > In a message dated 6/17/2013 8:43:30 P.M. Central Daylight Time,
                  > Sgt42RHR@... writes:

                  http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
                  > humbnails&album=669
                  >
                  > BTW, the ones you describe as really wimpy are in fact period correct
                  and
                  > can be seen on many originals.
                  >
                  > The now defunct Trunk Shoppe used to carry good ones. You can see images
                  > of those on a couple of trunks I made.

                  http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
                  > humbnails&album=518
                  >
                  > and

                  http://galootcentral.com/index.php?option=com_copperminevis&Itemid=2&place=t
                  > humbnails&album=507

                • ebolton123
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
                    John,
                    Yea, I get it...I do it to. I just got 4 hold-fasts done for my Moxon workbench. I just thought there might be more folks with them "ready-made"?
                    Cheers,
                    Bob Bolton