Re: [Revlist] Medallion found in South Carolin

  • Jay Callaham
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2000
      From: Joanna B. Craig <jcraig@...>
      To: <Revlist@egroups.com>
      Sent: Saturday, July 01, 2000 12:33 PM
      Subject: [Revlist] Medallion found in South Carolin

      > Received the following from a local person. Does anyone have any
      suggestions I might pass on the gentleman?
      > Joanna Craig, director Historic Camden
      > Revolutionary War Site.
      >
      > I have a silver medallion that was unearthed north of
      camden(westville) it
      > > appears to be of British Masonic order...basic "star burst" with a cross
      > in
      > > the middle with the words...IN HOC SIGNO VINCES ..(spelling may be
      > > incorrect) translation in this sin you will conquer.have seen similar
      > > medallions on British uniforms from the revolutionary war period was
      > > wondering if you had any info or could point me to somewhere I could
      find
      > out
      > > what it is....

      It's spelled correctly. Means "In this sign, we conquor" and the badge is a
      baldric badge of the Masonic Order of Knights Templar. It probably dates to
      the 19th century or later as these are still being made and worn. I'd have
      to look at it "in person" to try to date it - - and then might not be really
      accurate.

      The Order of Knights Templar goes back to our era. Paul Revere was one and
      I've read of some others.

      Cheers!

      Jay
      4th Coy, Bde of Guards
      Past Commander, Charlotte Commandery No2 Knights Templar
      Past Chief Instructor-Inspector, Grand Commandery of Knights Templar
      of North Carolina
      jay-callaham@...
      "If you do not receive this, it must have miscarried, therefore I beg you
      write and let me know." Sir Boyle Roche, 18th century Irish MP with a
      vision!
    • Joanna B. Craig
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 25, 2000
        A belated thanks for your thoughts/suggestions. I passed the information on
        to the folks. They were most appreciative. Thanks, Robert Selentic.
        Joanna Craig
        > > Received the following from a local person. Does anyone have any
        > suggestions I might pass on the gentleman?
        > > Joanna Craig, director Historic Camden
        > > Revolutionary War Site.
        > >
        > > I have a silver medallion that was unearthed north of
        > camden(westville) it
        > > > appears to be of British Masonic order...basic "star burst" with a
        cross
        > > in
        > > > the middle with the words...IN HOC SIGNO VINCES ..(spelling may be
        > > > incorrect) translation in this sin you will conquer.have seen similar
        > > > medallions on British uniforms from the revolutionary war period was
        > > > wondering if you had any info or could point me to somewhere I could
        > find
        > > out
        > > > what it is....
        > >
        > I'll assume that the "sin" is a typo. " In hoc Signo Vinces" "by this sign
        > you will conquer" was the the Christian symbol (usually depicted as the
        > chi-rho) supposedly dreamed by the Roman Emperor Constantine before
        winning
        > the battle of Milvian Bridge in AD312. The motto was used on the flags of
        > the (Catholic) Irish Regiments in French Service. I've always thought of
        if
        > as having a Catholic association.
        >
        > Perhaps some inquiry in that direction might be fruitful.
        >
        > Hope that helps,
        > Hochachtungsvoll,
        > RNS
        > Visit the recreated Infanterie Regiment von Donop at:
        > http://www.netaxs.com/~gothic/VonDonop.html
        > Visit Fraser's Company of Select Marksmen at:
        > http://www.globalserve.net/~lougheed/CSM_ID/

        > > Life's too short to send boring email. Let SuperSig come to the rescue.
        > > http://click.egroups.com/1/6137/10/_/534055/_/962466615/
        > >
        > > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes book and movie reviews, a
        list
        > of sutlers, RevList member photos, etc., at
        > >
        > > http://www.liming.org/revlist/

        > Savings + service + convenience = beMANY!
        >
        > Visit the RevList Homepage, which includes book and movie reviews, a list
        of sutlers, RevList member photos, etc., at

        > http://www.liming.org/revlist/

      • Joanna B. Craig
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 25, 2000
          A belated thanks for the information, Jay. The folks were most
          appreciative of everyone's input. Working on
          Field Days now. Invite going out tomorrow. Hope we will see you then.
          Best, Joanna