What is this weapon?

  • wmwartman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 1, 2014

      Dear Group--I need to pick your collective minds about what appears to be a small cannon-like iron tube without trunnions that was given to the Conococheague Institute here in south central PA.  The tube was excavated locally years ago when a septic system was being dug.  The museum is interested in identifying this piece and finding out what it was used for.  I will place photos in the photo section labled "unknown cannon"

      Thanks.

      Take Care, Lee Davis

    • ebolton123
      Message 2 of 12 , May 1, 2014
        Lee, Looks like possibly a signal gun? Cheers, Bob
      • wmwartman
        Message 3 of 12 , May 1, 2014
          Bob--Any idea how it would be mounted?

          Lee
        • ebolton123
          Message 4 of 12 , May 1, 2014
            Lee, There doesn't appear to be any trunnions on the piece? Perhaps just stuck on a solid block of wood kina mortar style? Maybe even at one time had iron straps holding it fast? Purely guessing here. Cheers, Bob
          • wmwartman
            Message 5 of 12 , May 1, 2014
              Thanks, Bob.
              Lee
            • pbspme
              Message 6 of 12 , May 2, 2014
                Lee

                    Could be a signal gun or some type of swivel gun, but just no evidence, as you point out, on how it might be held or braced. But the ruler covers at least a 3rd of the tube in all the photos so difficult to get a good look or look for wear marks.  Seems to me I've seen a few others not unlike this, in different sizes. Have to look back through my photo files

                John Mills
                Mott's Artillery

                Message 7 of 12 , May 2, 2014

                  Lee,

                  The lack of trunnions and the presence of a cascabel is interesting.

                  The idea of a signal gun is valid, it could be strapped to a block of wood and fired, since elevation is irrelevant.

                  A mortar is unlikely given the narrow bore and lack of a baseplate in lieu of trunnions.

                  A third option could be a line-throwing cannon.    I “googled” the term and among all the images one small cannon without trunnions was shown,  however it had reinforcing bands at the breech and midway down the barrel.

                  I agree with John Mills on the possibility that the trunnions were removed and/or broke off and the ruler or corrosion obscures the damage.

                  Bill Simpson

[...]

                • Dave

[...]

                  • josephr4570
                    Message 9 of 12 , May 2, 2014
                      It just may be something that was never finished
                      Grump

                      Not sure I understand, Grump. Weren't guns like this cast with the trunions as part of the casting - done all as one piece? I'm pretty sure that's how larger guns were cast.

                      Joseph

                    • Dave
                      Message 10 of 12 , May 2, 2014
                        I believe so but as understand it all there is is basically a tube. If it could be anything
                        Grump

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        On May 2, 2014, at 1:24 PM, <josephr4570@...> wrote:

                        It just may be something that was never finished
                        Grump

                        Not sure I understand, Grump. Weren't guns like this cast with the trunions as part of the casting - done all as one piece? I'm pretty sure that's how larger guns were cast.

                        Joseph

                      • Bill Simpson
                        Message 11 of 12 , May 2, 2014

                          Cannons were cast with trunnions.  Only the very early cannons or “bombards” which were mounted on “sleds” were not cast with trunnions.  However cannons that were forged or machined and build up from components would start without trunnions but that does not apply in this case.

                          Bill

                          Message 12 of 12 , May 2, 2014

                            Hi folks,

                            I am selling a very special set of bagpipes. Do you have a piper in your group that likes to start in at 8AM in the camp?
                            Sit around the fire and blast your ears off? Then take a look at these:

                            Offering a set of John Walsh two drone shuttle pipes, with two custom made chanters done in “modern polymer material
                            that closely resembles a whitish natural material that is no longer used in instrument making but used to be”. *ahem*
                            Instead of a mouth blown type, these employ a bellows so if anyone plays the GHB and has considered going to bellows,
                            the fingering is the same. They are modeled after a very early North Umbrian set (I have the photo if you want) that
                            dates to c.1695 so Mr.; Walsh made a suitable looking chanter. They are EXTREMELY delicate and one has snapped at the
                            neck. I repaired it, and the repair is visible, but it is still working just fine. To avoid this and other issues (they will bend with heat)
                            I include two brass rods with cork that I have in the bore whenever they aren’t being played. I am also including extra drone
                            and chanter reeds. The original shuttle cap is in there as well. Shuttle pipes have a really sweet sound and since the reeds are plastic
                            they are immune to the weather issues that cane reeds have... I have sung with these for years.
                            The asking price is $900.

                            I sent this to the list to give any re-enacting pipers a crack at them before they go on ebay. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate
                            to get in touch. Thanks.

                            Robert Mouland