Recent Market Fair

  • ebolton123
    Message 1 of 31 , Apr 29 7:45 AM
      List, Last weekend I went to a Market Fair. OK, so what? Having gone to said Fair every year for the past six, I found a couple things smacking me right in the face this time. Has there been some new documentation found on the high use of cotton canvas used for clothing....cause, seems like near everyone is selling canvas clothing. Now, I don't care what pattern is used, if its made out of cotton canvas its wrong, yes? Then there is what is charged for wrong stuff. Secondly, there are some wonderful craftsmen out their turning out exquisite museum quality items such as horns, shot bags, knives and hawks and that's great for some one who wants a wallhanging piece of art....if they can afford $ 200 for a knife, or $400 for a powder horn. Problem is, those items along with being overpriced, do not really reflect what the common man was using. For example, the average hunting type knife was not made from Solligen steel, rather, it was made from a worn out file with a simple wood, bone, or horn handle. I just wish these vendors would step back and take a look at what's happening and this is what I see from my little corner of the reenacting world.....veterans are having a hard time finding the cash to upgrade their kits, newbies are taking twrice as long getting kitted out, and prospective newcomers to the hobby are turned away at the cost. I know there's a lot involved, overhead, materials, advertising, travel...etc. I'm in retail so I get that. But, I think something has got to give here, because I see the hobby getting older and older, with less and less new blood coming in. Likely due to cost? Maybe if there was as much or more emphasis put on making and selling more simplified items, more along what the common man / woman would have had access to, they might attract more of a buying customer base and fewer people just browsing ( which is actually just being polite and not saying how ridiculous the price is ), and in that way , attracting more folks of average means into the hobby? Cheers, Bob
    • oliviahansen
      Message 31 of 31 , May 10, 2014
        I am new to the hobby and this is the first time I was able to attend the Market Fair. With that said, I do not think the sutlers at the Market Fair are only there to sell to re-enactors. There were many people shopping there just to find fun stuff. There are people that look for things as wall hangings that have nothing to do with re-enacting.