Beeswax vs. Alcohol?

  • ebolton123
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 21, 2014
      So here's an off the wall question that some rum nerd should know. If I wanted to carry grog in a beeswax lined canteen, would the alcohol affect the lining and mix with the contents? Cheers, Bob Bolton
    • Folo Watkins
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 21, 2014

        So here's an off the wall question that some rum nerd should know. If I wanted to carry grog in a beeswax lined canteen, would the alcohol affect the lining and mix with the contents?
        I've always been told they didn't and so never tried. Would love to hear from someone with more experience and knowledge!
        Cheers, Folo
        .

      • ebolton123
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 21, 2014
          "They didn't" is pretty absolute? OK, so its probably one of those things that was so trivial that no one just bothered to write it down. So, let's just say its for my own enjoyment? But, I do have to argue that what soldiers in any timperiod never tried to sneak some spirits into their water carrying device? I know I did! ; ) Cheers, Bob
        • chris DIPASQUALE
          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
            I keep water,rum and ginger in my wooden canteen when it's not in use ( as was directed by IIRC the colony of MA) , I've never had a problem.

            Chris
            On Monday, April 21, 2014 9:22 PM, "ebolton123@..." <ebolton123@...> wrote:

            "They didn't" is pretty absolute? OK, so its probably one of those things that was so trivial that no one just bothered to write it down. So, let's just say its for my own enjoyment? But, I do have to argue that what soldiers in any timperiod never tried to sneak some spirits into their water carrying device? I know I did! ; ) Cheers, Bob

          • Michael McCloskey

                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
                    Beeswax is a part of some pitch recipes. I heard from a drinking jack
                    maker that anything is ok, except for boiling liquid. Warm drinks were ok,
                    but don't make tea in the jack.

                    Boiling water is how they remove pitch, if the container needs to be
                    re-pitched.

                    I would experiment: get some beeswax and put it in a container with clear,
                    flavorless alcohol. Leave it for a bit and see if the alcohol changes. It
                    may take on a slight honey flavor, but I doubt it will affect the seal in
                    the canteen.

                    -Carol

                    > So here's an off the wall question that some rum nerd should know. If I
                    > wanted to carry grog in a beeswax lined canteen, would the alcohol affect
                    > the lining and mix with the contents? Cheers, Bob Bolton
                  • wlsimpsonjr
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 22, 2014
                      Try it and tell us what happened!

                      Sent fm phone