Orderly Book British Ensign Dennis

  • wlsimpsonjr
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2014
      Can anyone provide the full citation, source, or location for the Ensign Dennis' Orderly Book?  It was referenced in the website "Remember Yorktown."

      Bill Simpson
      Sent fm phone
    • donhagist
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 5, 2014
        I see no one has responded to his, so I'll offer my educated guess.
        I have never heard of a British orderly book attributed to an Ensign Dennis (and I'm familiar with most known surviving British orderly books), but there is a likely suspect:
        There is a sequential pair of orderly books from the 43rd Regiment of Foot covering May through October 1781 in the Library of Congress (the citation I have says "#954. vol. 1" which seems incomplete, but that's all I have on hand); there is a transcript of it in the British Library. It has never been published, but copies of the manuscript and a transcript are in the hands of various people in the reenactment community.
        There was an Ensign George Dennis in the 43rd Regiment at this time. And, there was no other British regimental officer in America named Dennis at this time. So it sounds like someone has made a connection between Ensign George Dennis of the 43rd and these orderly books of the 43rd pertaining to the Yorktown campaign. I can't vouch for the accuracy of such an attribution.
        And, on a totally unrelated not, my book "British Soldiers, American War" is now available in paperback, if you missed the hardcover edition.
        Don N. Hagist
        http://revolutionaryimprints.com
      • robertaselig@juno.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 5, 2014
          Don -

          will you have copies of your book for sale in Wmsbg? I'll buy one if you have some.

          Bob
          ====================

          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 5, 2014
            Thank you very much!

            The two sources reference Dennis' or Ensign Dennis' Orderly Book.  It seems logical that its the 43rd's Orderly Book.

            The LOC is an easy daytrip.

            Sincerely
            Bill Simpson

            Sent fm phone

            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 5, 2014
              The publisher will be at Williamsburg with copies of the book; I'll be there as well, of course.
              It's also available here:
              http://revolutionaryimprints.com/british-soldiers--american-war.html

              Message 6 of 14 , Apr 11 3:50 PM
                Don -

                I wanted to check my files first but I have a photocopy of a typed ms entitled: "Orderly Book - Ensign Dennis".

                I made that photocopy from the typed transcript at Colonial NHP in Yorktown. It begins 30 July 1781 on board the Frigate "Richmond" and ends at "Wmsbg, 22 October 1782" with the arrangements for the march of the British POWs to the northward. It was used in Charles E. Hatch, Jr., "York Under the Hill": Yorktown's Waterfront" (Denver Service Center, N.P.S., March, 1973). He may be your Ensign Dennis of the 43d.

                Unfortunately the transcript at Colonial does not have a provenance (or I did not copy it, which somehow I doubt).

                Robertson lists these two for the LofC:
                BF-43-xx.
                43d Regiment of Foot 23 May 1781 25 Aug 1781 Virginia ‡Original: LOC, #954. vol. 1; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,449.
                BF-43-yy.
                43d Regiment of Foot 26 Aug 1781 22 Oct 1781 Virginia ‡Original:LOC, #954. vol. 2; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,450.

                I'll be in the LofC next Friday and can take a look.

                Bob

                Message 7 of 14 , Apr 16 8:55 AM
                  Sir,
                  If you could I would appreciate it.

                  If you can make copies at the LOC, I will gladly reimburse the copy costs.

                  If unable to make copies, could you could confirm the citations for the LOC,
                  is the end date 22 Oct 1781 or 1782?

                  VR
                  Bill Simpson

                  #954. vol. 1; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,449.
                  BF-43-yy.
                  43d Regiment of Foot 26 Aug 1781 22 Oct 1781 Virginia ‡Original:LOC,
                  #954. vol. 2; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,450.

                  Message 8 of 14 , Apr 16 4:04 PM
                    Bill -

                    I'll take a look and let you know.

                    the end-date of the typed transcript that I have is 22 October 1781.

                    The transcript I have is about 80 typed pages, the original may be much longer even. Are you sure you want photocopies of the original? At 25 cents each at the LofC that may be an expensive proposition.

                    Bob
                    ======================

                    #954. vol. 1; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,449.
                    BF-43-yy.
                    43d Regiment of Foot 26 Aug 1781 22 Oct 1781 Virginia ‡Original:LOC,
                    #954. vol. 2; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,450.

                    I'll be in the LofC next Friday and can take a look.

                    Bob
                  • ju_rees18938
                    Message 9 of 14 , Apr 17 3:41 AM
                      Bob and Bill, I have copies of those two 43d order books; I'll take a look at mine and see if they jive with the dates on Bob's copies. Cheers, John Rees (P.S. Bill, if you email me at ju_rees@..., I can get you copies.)
                    • wlsimpsonjr
                      Message 10 of 14 , Apr 17 8:06 AM
                        Thank you
                        Bill

                        Sent fm phone

                        Bob and Bill, I have copies of those two 43d order books; I'll take a look at mine and see if they jive with the dates on Bob's copies. Cheers, John Rees (P.S. Bill, if you email me at ju_rees@..., I can get you copies.)

                      • Paul Loane
                        Message 11 of 14 , Apr 19 5:15 PM

                          Hello…

                                      I need a viable contact for the Second South Carolina. A friend has tried to reach them but has received no response.

                                      …..Paul Loane

                        • robertaselig@juno.com
                          Message 12 of 14 , Apr 21 2:07 PM
                            Bill, Don -

                            I checked at the LofC and the typed transcript that I have is from the orderly book listed on Robertson's Orderly Book Index.

                            #954. vol. 1; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,449.
                            BF-43-yy.
                            43d Regiment of Foot 26 Aug 1781 22 Oct 1781 Virginia ‡Original:LOC,
                            #954. vol. 2; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,450.

                            BTW - the typed transcript that I got from Colonial is a photocopy of the typed transcript in the Library of Congress, which means that the Library of Congress identified it as being from Dennis - but nobody there could tell me why.

                            Bob
                            =========
                          • wlsimpsonjr
                            Message 13 of 14 , Apr 22 4:49 AM
                              Thank you,
                              Bill

                              Sent fm phone

                              #954. vol. 1; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,449.
                              BF-43-yy.
                              43d Regiment of Foot  26 Aug 1781  22 Oct 1781  Virginia  ‡Original:LOC,
                              #954. vol. 2; Transcript: British Library, Add. Ms. 42,450.

                              BTW - the typed transcript that I got from Colonial is a photocopy of the typed transcript in the Library of Congress, which means that the Library of Congress identified it as being from Dennis - but nobody there could tell me why.

                              Bob
                              =========

                              <*> Your email settings:
                                  Individual Email | Traditional

                              <*> To change settings online go to:
                                  (Yahoo! ID required)

                              <*> To change settings via email:
                                  Revlist-digest@yahoogroups.com
                                  Revlist-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

                            • Bill Simpson
                              Message 14 of 14 , Jun 25, 2014
                                Don and Bob
                                Thank you very much for your support.
                                I went to the LoC a few days ago, and read the entire microfilm for both
                                volumes and found the page I was looking for.
                                Dennis was one of the many junior officers assigned Orderly duty, 4 were
                                assigned each day resulting in different handwriting and ink for the
                                entries.
                                What you have below is in a book listing Rev War Manuscripts at the Library
                                but their citation numbers are in the attached
                                Bill