Re: Stephen Brumwell book-signing & talk at Old Barracks Museum

  • Richard Patterson
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2013

      Jack,

      I don’t want to speak for Mr. Brumwell or his publisher, perhaps the blurb could have been more artfully worded, but it was aimed at the general audience rather than a specialized one such as this list. I can say from Mr. Brumwell’s previous book, “Redcoats”, that he has a keen interest and has made an excellent case for how unique, adaptable, and influential Britain’s “American” army – the troops it sent to fight the F&I – became. We must admit that in the military history community in general, as well as in the general public, Washington’s generalship is often, perhaps too often, described as “okay”, “somewhat better than average”, to “didn’t suck” with the assumption that he succeeded by being a good politician, etc.

      I believe Mr. Brumwell sees him as more than that and has decided to take his point of view as a BRITISH (as in he’s a Brit) military historian who has studied and written about the British military experience in the F&I (the same war where Washington cut his military teeth), to give a somewhat fresh perspective on Washington generalship.

      I have not yet had the opportunity to read the book itself as it is not yet available, but I have had the opportunity to correspond with Mr. Brumwell at some length about it as well as his book “Redcoats”, so I do have some confidence about my above observations. Anyway, the point is…..here’s an opportunity to hear what he has to say and to question him directly……for free!

      Oh….and if you buy the book from us….it directly supports the Old Barracks’ daily educational programs…. He’ll be signing them that night.

      Cheers,

      Rich Patterson

      Executive Director

      Old Barracks Museum