Travel Advice to the Hook

  • Mike Cecere
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 6, 2013
      Dear List,

      I'd like to offer up some travel advice for anyone driving southbound to the Hook event in a couple of weeks.  This is based on over 20 years of experience in northern Virginia and countless trips south to Williamsburg.

      If your travel plans will not put you past Washington D.C. ( via I-95 ) before 11 a.m. on Friday, you may want to seriously consider another route south because traffic south of Fairfax County on I-95 and Route 1 is absolutely brutal on Friday.  This is particularly true now with all of the HOV construction.  Trust me on this folks, you will be miserable in traffic if you are caught between exit 156  and exit 130 by noon on any Friday

      If you can't get through northern Virginia (defined as north of Fredericksburg) by 11 a.m I would strongly recommend avoiding I-95 Friday afternoon.

      Instead, check out a map and plan your route in order to cross the Potomac River at 301 (east of Fredericksburg), then continue on Route 301 across the Rappahannock River at Port Royal and turn left onto Route 17 a mile from the river.  From there, it's a pleasant drive to Gloucester County and the Hook.

      The Historical Scenic Route Option

      Dr. Bob Selig has done some great work over the years on the Washington - Rochambeau Route and if you have the time, (and don't mind going a bit out of your way) you might want to follow large portions of the actual route from Fredericksburg (pick up Route 2 South in Fredericksburg) to Hanover Courthouse, then to New Kent Courthouse ( via 605, the actual route) and detour via West Point) over to Gloucester.  It is a wonderful drive (especially from Hanover Courthouse to New Kent) and the specific directions are below.

      You can also take the best portion of this route via the Route 301 detour by staying on 301 through Port Royal.  You will pass the site where John Wilkes Booth was trapped and killed (it's just a spot on a wooded median strip) and end up just south of Bowling Green.  Pick up Route 2 South and follow to Hanover Courthouse.  See below for more detailed directions.

      Specific Directions of Washington - Rochambeau Route from Fredericksburg.

      Pick up Route 2 south of Fredericksburg

      Cross Route 17 and continue on Route 2 south

      You can stay on Route 2 or follow the actual side routes that weave off and then back to Route 2.  Either way, you will pass Bowling Green 20 miles from Fredericksburg and Hanover Courthouse 20 miles after that.  About 1 1/2 mile past Hanover Courthouse is Route 605 on the left.

      Turn left onto 605 (River Road) ---  This is one of my favorite sections of the route -----

       Eventually this road will split left and you want to continue STRAIGHT onto Route 604 (Hanover Town Rd).

      Hanovertown no longer exists......it is now a farm.

      When you come to a stop sign, turn left onto 606 Studley Rd.

      Follow to Rte. 301, cross both lanes of 301.  You are still on 606 but now it is called Old Church Rd.  -- This may be the best portion in my opinion.

      Follow 606 all the way to Rte. 249 in New Kent County.  Turn left onto 249 and drive east past the court house.

      Now you will break off the Washington-Rochambeau route......

      Turn left onto Rte 33, follow into and past West Point, (look downriver on the bridge....LaFayette claimed he could see British ships from there) and follow Rte 33 to Route 17.

      Turn right onto Route 17 and follow directions from the website to Warner Hall.

      Good luck on the journey to Gloucester / Warner Hall.

      All the Best,

      Mike Cecere   7th VA
    • abishai_forhire
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013

        Mike,

        I'm planning on going through that area Thursday in the late afternoon.  Will that also be a problem?

        John Koopman

        2LD Tallmadges Troop

      • robertaselig@juno.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 8, 2013
          Just a heads-up: if Congress is still acting like children next week the Colonial Parkway from Wmsbg to YT and Jamestown will still be closed. It is closed right now.
          =====================

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 9, 2013

            A slight correction to Bob Selig’s information about the Colonial Parkway: as of today (10/9/13), the only closed portion is from Jamestown to Route 199/Kingspoint in Williamsburg. The portion from Route 199/Kingspoint to Yorktown is open, although the ramp from the Parkway to the Yorktown Victory Center is blocked off (though there are other ways to get to the YVC).

            Martha Katz-Hyman
            Curator
            Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
            Williamsburg, VA
          • lehrerprofessoren

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 10, 2013
                Before you get to the end of the parkway there should be a turn onto Route 17 and the bridge.  You would pass over 17, then bear right and loop around to 17 North.

                Mike Cecere