Re: White Buff leather

  • cavhacc
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
      Hello Jack,

      It is a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for your advice. I do understand about unit standards and trying to take part as an odd unit out so to speak. The reason for the 2nd CT interest is a relative who was in the original unit. Perhaps it is a pipe dream for now but I will whittle away at it all the same.

      Najecki Reproductions is quite an impressive sight and I doe remember his name being tossed around when I was in the field from other time frames. His research is quite impeccable. A shame he is not taking orders for boxes at the moment. Oh well...much of my kit is either made by me or altered in some way to make more correct if necessary. I have little doubt I will be able to find a unit to fall in with. And yes I would certainly acquiesce to their standards. Stuart Lillie is a new one to me and I will look him up in the next few days.

      Thank you for all your advice.
      I am thoroughly looking forward to getting back into the field.
      Do stay in touch and feel free to chime in whenever you have the inclination.

      Michael McCloskey

      --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, crownscot@... wrote:

      > Mike,
      > Suggest you contact Roy Najecki or Stuart Lillie at Ft. Ticonderoga , both makers of leather goods and possible referral to leather suppliers. Goggle Muskets of the Crown for 42nd info in both time periods. There are other 42nd units and they do lurk here. I respectfully suggest you wait to dial in your American kit till you connect with a unit.
      > You have impressive academic credentials, but being a unit of one can be trying. Most units have their own contacts and standards to help new members with resources, usually tried and true from experience within the membership.
      > Good luck
      > Jack Reimer
      > 7th Foot
      >
      > Sent from my iPhone
      >
      > On Sep 3, 2013, at 8:06 PM, "cavhacc" <cavhacc@...> wrote:
      >

      > > Hello Crownscot,
      > >
      > > My name is Michael McCloskey and I have been a re-enactor and living historian for some 28 years. I am looking to get involved in the Seven Years War and Revolutionary periods. For the Revolutionary period I am putting together a Pennsylvania Rifleman impression and one of the 2nd Connecticut Infantry. Currently I am finishing my Master's degree in History at Millersville University. My focus is, as you might suspect, early America. Colonial Atlantic World. For the French and Indian period, I am looking to join up with a unit doing a Highland Regiment. The 42 of Foot is always the first to pop to mind.
      > >
      > > Who are you?
      > >
      > > Michael
      > >
      > > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, crownscot@ wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Who are you?
      > > >
      > > > Sent from my iPhone

    • frank velez
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2013
        Hello Mike

                         I suggest you look into these two  groups:
                         fandiwar@yahoogroups.com
                        fandi_warprogressivecampaigner@yahoogroups.com
        like Jack Reimer mention it is best to wait till you find a unit before you buy anything.
        You didn't mention where your located, and what time period your looking to do the 42nd. the facing where changed after 1758 from buff to royal blue facings, the double red stripe lacing remained the same on the coat. the blue bonnet  with a black bear fur patch.and black cockade,  Ian Burns makes a great hand knit bonnet for this period. Great book to have for F& I Highland regiments is "Sons of the Mountains" by Ian Macpherson McCulloch , I enclosed a pdf copy of Stewart  Orderly book from the that Time period from the 42nd, courtesy from the 42nd HR in Maine. The 1751 clothing warrant, and my uniform i wore at the Fort William Henry event this year.
        Good luck with the 42nd  maybe we can march at one of the New York Fort events.
        Frank
        1776 42 RHR
        1758 42 HR
        1780 Principe Regiment
        1740 St. Augustine garrison

        ________________________________
        Suggest you contact Roy Najecki or Stuart Lillie at Ft. Ticonderoga , both makers of leather goods and possible referral to leather suppliers. Goggle Muskets of the Crown for 42nd info in both time periods. There are other 42nd units and they do lurk here. I respectfully suggest you wait to dial in your American kit till you connect with a unit.
        You have impressive academic credentials, but being a unit of one can be trying. Most units have their own contacts and standards to help new members with resources, usually tried and true from experience within the membership.
        Good luck
        Jack Reimer
        7th Foot

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Sep 3, 2013, at 8:06 PM, "cavhacc" <cavhacc@...> wrote:

        > Hello Crownscot,
        >
        > My name is Michael McCloskey and I have been a re-enactor and living historian for some 28 years. I am looking to get involved in the Seven Years War and Revolutionary periods. For the Revolutionary period I am putting together a Pennsylvania Rifleman impression and one of the 2nd Connecticut Infantry. Currently I am finishing my Master's degree in History at Millersville University. My focus is, as you might suspect, early America. Colonial Atlantic World. For the French and Indian period, I am looking to join up with a unit doing a Highland Regiment. The 42 of Foot is always the first to pop to mind.
        >
        > Who are you?
        >
        > Michael
        >
        > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, crownscot@... wrote:
        > >
        > > Who are you?
        > >
        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > On Sep 3, 2013, at 7:04 PM, "cavhacc" <cavhacc@...> wrote:
        > >
        > > > Hello All,
        > > >
        > > > I am new to the Rev List but look forward to a long and fruitful relationship. For my first question, does anyone know a good supplier for white buff leather. I am looking to put together some Cartridge boxes and need the leather for the carriages. Slings and the like. Seems mighty hard to get now. Also does anyone have a decent pattern of for the 1750s period English cartridge box itself. Not hard to put together. I just need the dimensions.

      • Harry
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013
          Mike,
          An excellent source for correct Buff Leather is EBINGER BROTHERS LEATHER COMPANY, P.O. Box 594, Ipswich, MA 01938. Phone 978-356-5701.
          They take credit cards over the phone, give fast and friendly service. It is not cheap and they have minimum order, but the product is superb.
          Regards,
          Harry
          42d RHR

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "cavhacc" <cavhacc@...> wrote:

          > Hello Jack,
          >
          > It is a pleasure to meet you. Thank you for your advice. I do understand about unit standards and trying to take part as an odd unit out so to speak. The reason for the 2nd CT interest is a relative who was in the original unit. Perhaps it is a pipe dream for now but I will whittle away at it all the same.
          >
          > Najecki Reproductions is quite an impressive sight and I doe remember his name being tossed around when I was in the field from other time frames. His research is quite impeccable. A shame he is not taking orders for boxes at the moment. Oh well...much of my kit is either made by me or altered in some way to make more correct if necessary. I have little doubt I will be able to find a unit to fall in with. And yes I would certainly acquiesce to their standards. Stuart Lillie is a new one to me and I will look him up in the next few days.
          >
          > Thank you for all your advice.
          > I am thoroughly looking forward to getting back into the field.
          > Do stay in touch and feel free to chime in whenever you have the inclination.
          >
          > Michael McCloskey
          >
          > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, crownscot@ wrote:
          > >
          > > Mike,
          > > Suggest you contact Roy Najecki or Stuart Lillie at Ft. Ticonderoga , both makers of leather goods and possible referral to leather suppliers. Goggle Muskets of the Crown for 42nd info in both time periods. There are other 42nd units and they do lurk here. I respectfully suggest you wait to dial in your American kit till you connect with a unit.
          > > You have impressive academic credentials, but being a unit of one can be trying. Most units have their own contacts and standards to help new members with resources, usually tried and true from experience within the membership.
          > > Good luck
          > > Jack Reimer
          > > 7th Foot
          > >
          > > Sent from my iPhone
          > >
          > > On Sep 3, 2013, at 8:06 PM, "cavhacc" <cavhacc@> wrote:
          > >

          > > > Hello Crownscot,
          > > >
          > > > My name is Michael McCloskey and I have been a re-enactor and living historian for some 28 years. I am looking to get involved in the Seven Years War and Revolutionary periods. For the Revolutionary period I am putting together a Pennsylvania Rifleman impression and one of the 2nd Connecticut Infantry. Currently I am finishing my Master's degree in History at Millersville University. My focus is, as you might suspect, early America. Colonial Atlantic World. For the French and Indian period, I am looking to join up with a unit doing a Highland Regiment. The 42 of Foot is always the first to pop to mind.
          > > >
          > > > Who are you?
          > > >
          > > > Michael

        • Michael McCloskey
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 5, 2013

            Hello Harry,

            And thank you for the source. I will put it to good use. I noticed you are with the 42 RHR. Do you portray that unit in F&I or just the American Revolution? I have an interest in the unit specifically.

            Michael