Re: [Revlist] Boston: what's best to see/do?

  • pbspme
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 23, 2013
      Jim

      Grew up outside Boston. As you are asking about alternative things to do to with a 9 year old, aside from the many historic sites to visit. Hopefully my info is not out of date as I'm in NJ now.

      - New England Aquarium at Boston Harbor
      - The Boston Children's Museum, near the tea party ship Beaver on the harbor. Look for the large milk bottle at the entrance.
      - The Boston Science Museum. One of the best and includes the large Tesler electric coils. On the River Charles bridge crossing
      - Fenway Park!!!! Go Socks!
      - About 20-25 west of Boston, in the historic town of Sudbury, is Longfellow's Wayside Inn, just off Rt 20. Great building, good food and lodging. Within a 5 minute walk from the Inn is the Mary had a little Lamb historic school house, the Martha - Mary Chapel, and the Old Grist Mill. About a 2 mile drive from the Inn is the Old Country Store with penny candy and exhibits. I used to walk 5 miles to this store in the 50's and 60's. (uphill both ways of course).

      - Think about Old Sturbridge Village on your way to or from Boston.

      John Mills
      Mott's Artillery

    • Paul O'Shaughnessy
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
        Some links to help you plan:

        Old State House (www.bostonhistory.org)
        Old North Church (www.oldnorth.com)
        USS Constitution (www.ussconstitutionmuseum.org)
        Bunker Hill (www.nps.gov/bost/historyculture/bhm.htm)
        Lexington (www.lexingtonhistory.org)
        Minuteman National Park (www.nps.gov/mima/)
      • Susan
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013
          I work for Old Town Trolley Tours of Boston. Great way to get around the city of Boston and to hear the stories you can get on and off. Ticket is good for two consect. days and includes either admission to the Boston Tea Party ships and Museum or a 45 Min. Boston Harbor boat tour. Look up www.trolleytour.com
          Enjoy the city
          Sue

        • chris_in_the_kitchen
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 25, 2013
            Czesc!
            If visiting Old North Church, consider visiting the exceedingly nearby
            Print Office of Edes & Gill in the Clough House (c1712). http://bostongazette.org/about
            Chocolate grinding is frequently demonstrated in the next room.
            http://oldnorth.com/site/tours-ticketing/new-attractions

            -Chris H. of Woburn