Fate of the Signers

  • bvogler
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 3, 2013
      List-

      This email was sent to me some years ago, but after a bit of editing, it is
      worth forwarding to the List on the 4th of July.Happy Birth Day America !!

      Have you ever wondered what happened to the 56 men who signed the
      Declaration of Independence?

      Five signers were captured by the British as traitors, and tortured before
      they died.

      Twelve had their homes ransacked and burned. Two lost their sons serving in
      the American Army; another had two sons captured. Nine of the 56 fought and
      died from wounds or hardships of the American War for independence.

      They signed and they pledged their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred
      honor.

      What kind of men were they?

      Twenty-four were lawyers and jurists. Eleven were merchants, nine were
      farmers and large plantation owners; men of means, well educated. But they
      signed the Declaration of Independence knowing full well that the penalty
      would be death if they were captured.

      Carter Braxton of Virginia, a wealthy planter and trader, saw his ships
      swept from the seas by the Royal Navy. He sold his home and properties to
      pay his debts, and died in rags.

      Thomas McKean was so hounded by the British that he was forced to move his
      family constantly. He served in the Congress without pay, and his family
      was kept in hiding. His possessions were taken from him, and poverty was
      his reward.

      Vandals or soldiers looted the properties of Ellery, Hall, Clymer, Walton,
      Gwinnett, Heyward, Rutledge, and Middleton.

      At the battle of Yorktown, Thomas Nelson, Jr., noted that the British had
      taken over the Nelson home for his headquarters. He quietly urged General
      Washington to open fire. The home was destroyed, and Nelson died bankrupt.

      Francis Lewis had his home and properties destroyed. The enemy jailed his
      wife, and she died with a few months.

      John Hart was driven from his wife's bedside as she was dying. Their 13
      children fled for their lives. His fields and his gristmill were laid to
      waste. For more than a year he lived in forests and caves, returning home
      to find his wife dead and his children vanished. A few weeks later he died
      from exhaustion and a broken heart.

      Norris and Livingston suffered similar fates.

      Such were the stories and sacrifices of the American Revolution. These were
      not wild-eyed rabble-rousing ruffians. They were soft-spoken men of means
      and education. They had security, but they valued liberty more. Standing
      tall, straight, and unwavering, they pledged: "For the support of this
      declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence,
      we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred
      honor."

      They gave you and me a free and independent America.

      Some take their liberties for granted, but we shouldn't. So, take a few
      minutes while enjoying your 4th of July holiday and silently thank these
      patriots.

      The doorway to freedom is framed in muskets!

      And so it goes,

      Bob V.

    • John Clines
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
        I normally wouldn't comment on something like this but on this group
        where we pride ourselves on being as historically accurate, I have to say
        something

        Only parts of this is true and it is mostly "spin" written over the internet
        to fool people that don't know better

        This letter is copied here and dissected for accuracy
        http://www.snopes.com/history/american/pricepaid.asp

        John

        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
          Reminds me of something my Dad told many years ago, "believe half of what
          you read and even less of what you hear." Has proved to be valuable advice.

          Ashley Morgan

          Pensioner

          84th Regt of Foot

          2nd Virginia Regt

          Maryland Loyalist Battn

          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
            List-

            As someone who also believes in being historically accurate as possible, my
            humble apologies for the inaccuracies of "Fate of the Signers."

            Bob V.

            "This is the West, Sir. When the Legend becomes fact, print the legend."

            From "The Man Who Killed Liberty Valance"

            -----------------------------

            ------------------------

            ---------------------------

[...]

            [

          • Boston 1775
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
              Here's another dissection of the "Price They Paid" essay:
              <<http://www.connecticutsar.org/articles/price_paid.htm#rebuttal>>

              The case of Richard Stockton of New Jersey is especially interesting. In the early 1800s a story developed that he had been mistreated as a prisoner and died of the lingering effects. Eventually that was blown up into a story of torture and early death.

              Evidence from the 1700s shows that Stockton:
              a) spent less than thirteen weeks in late 1776 and early 1777 as a captive of the royal forces, probably far less.
              b) was said by his son-in-law, Dr. Benjamin Rush, to have fully recovered, and was busy buying furniture within weeks of returning to his home.
              c) died of an oral cancer, not a condition we can link to mistreatment.
              d) was not described at his death as having been mistreated in captivity.
              e) while a prisoner signed an agreement to live in peaceful obedience to the Crown, so the Howe brothers ordered him to be set free. He then sat out the rest of the conflict as a neutral.

              But because of the late-1800s legend, Stockton is supposedly the prime example of a Declaration signer being hunted down by the British army and tortured.

              J. L. Bell Boston1775@...

              Unabashed gossip about the start of the American Revolution at <http://www.boston1775.net>.

            • Todd Braisted
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                I have a 29 December 1776 document from the Force Papers, a letter from Lt. Col. James Webster of the 33rd Regiment to Lt. Col. Elisha Lawrence of the 1st Battalion, New Jersey Volunteers, stating that Stockton had been granted a full pardon by the Howe brothers, and all his property in NJV hands was to be returned to him. Hardly sounds like the legend...

                Todd Braisted
                ivbnnjv@...

                Message 7 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                  Todd Braisted wrote:
                  << I have a 29 December 1776 document from the Force Papers, a letter from Lt. Col. James Webster of the 33rd Regiment to Lt. Col. Elisha Lawrence of the 1st Battalion, New Jersey Volunteers, stating that Stockton had been granted a full pardon by the Howe brothers, and all his property in NJV hands was to be returned to him. Hardly sounds like the legend... >>

                  A few years back Todd generously shared his transcript and analysis of that document with me, and you can read it here:
                  <<http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2009/07/richard-stocktons-release-date.html>>

                  J. L. Bell Boston1775@...
                  Unabashed gossip about the start of the American Revolution at <http://www.boston1775.net>.
                • William
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jul 4, 2013
                    Dear List, regarding the Fates of the Signers I believe this originated in the 1950's with Paul Harvey. A few notes I hope will be of interest concerning the Signers Stockton and Witherspoon:

                    Richard Stockton's story was recorded in the papers of John Witherspoon of Princeton. Witherspoon criticized Stockton for signing papers rescinding his support of American independence, thus gaining his release. Stockton had been pulled on a rope by mounted British when captured and was forced to wade up to his chest through the Raritan River in December 1776. The rough treatment he received in British captivity was believed to have ruined his health and contributed to his death.

                    Witherspoon was the only Signer to lose a family member as a result of enemy fire in the Rervolution, his son James was decapitated by the same cannonball that mortally wounded General Nash at Germantown. When Witherspoon received the news while sitting in Congress he displayed no emotion and conducted his business in Congress as normal.

                    As for Witherspon, he was a Scotchman who arrived in America in 1768 at the age of 46. He had been elected President of the College of New Jersey (Princeton University) and after two years of viosits and persuat on by two future Signers, Richard Stockton and Benjamin Rush, accepted the position. He traveled to Boston in October 1768 on the heels of General Gage and the British Army, at which time he met such patriots as Samuel Adams.

                    When the British entered Princeton in December 1776, Jefferson wrote that Witherspoon's papers had been destroyed and his library plundered. As it turned out, the British never plundered Witherspoon's home Tusculum outside of Princeton, but merely took several farm animals that belonged to him.

                    Even a statement by Jefferson turned out to be misleading or outright false. As for the College of New Jersey, the library was ransacked and many valuable books scattered- but even so, much of the damage was done by Americans rather than British. That includes the famous Rittenhouse Orrery, which was carefully guarded by British with the intention of carting it off. When Americans occupied Princeton and used Nassau Hall as a hospital, the Orrery was damaged.

                    Witherspoon and the College of NJ lost considerable amounts of money due to the depletion of the value of Continental currency.

                    This is an accurate appraisal of Witherspoon's case.

                    ~ William Myers, independent historian.

                    --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "jno23x" <Boston1775@...> wrote:

                    > Todd Braisted wrote:
                    > << I have a 29 December 1776 document from the Force Papers, a letter from Lt. Col. James Webster of the 33rd Regiment to Lt. Col. Elisha Lawrence of the 1st Battalion, New Jersey Volunteers, stating that Stockton had been granted a full pardon by the Howe brothers, and all his property in NJV hands was to be returned to him. Hardly sounds like the legend... >>
                    >
                    > A few years back Todd generously shared his transcript and analysis of that document with me, and you can read it here:
                    > <<http://boston1775.blogspot.com/2009/07/richard-stocktons-release-date.html>>
                    >
                    > J. L. Bell Boston1775@...
                    > Unabashed gossip about the start of the American Revolution at <http://www.boston1775.net>.

                  • D Mangum
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jul 5, 2013
                      Better to remember that the signers were humans, and like all humans they have their failings and flaws. Better to appreciate them for what they did, warts and all, regardless of what happened after. And when we do look at what happened after, best to follow the words of Reagan..."Trust, but verify."
                      Thanks to John for helping to clarify things.
                      Regards,
                      Douglas

                      Douglas G. Mangum M.A.
                      Principal Investigator, Historian