Re: [Revlist] Re: Shoes

  • sgt42rhr
    Message 1 of 57 , Jun 18, 2013
      Roy, thank you for your balanced and informative post.

      Regarding toe shape, I have documented what you say below for Gentlemen and
      Officers based on numerous period paintings. That is, shoes for the
      better sort were pointed or rounded and narrow.

      Because it was not my question, I've not focused on period images of shoes
      for soldiers, workers, and the common sort. Do you know if the common shoe
      had a narrow rounded or pointed toe, or was the toe rounded but more
      broadly so, as is seen in most of the reproduced common shoes?

      Again, thanks for the post!

      Cheers,
      John

      John M. Johnston
      There is a fine line between hobby and mental illness. Dave Barry.

      In a message dated 6/18/2013 7:18:35 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
      Roy@... writes:

      The blunt, square toe is great for early 18th C. but by the Rev War most
      English/American/French shoe toes were pointed or rounded.

    • John White
      Message 57 of 57 , Jun 23, 2013
        George

        Just about all of the suppliers of period shoes have been mentioned.

        Based on the little experience I have had, I can recommend
        http://www.fugawee.com/

        I had not looked at their web site for some time, but besides an array
        of shoes for our period, they have quite a few shoe buckles to choose from.

        Men's shoes can be had for just a bit over $100. As a matter of
        interest, their shoes are made in the traditional trade of cottage
        industries in Mexico.

        John White
        Avalon Forge
        Baltimore