Long Land Pattern Dublin Castle Bess

  • rob.vanlier
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 13, 2013
      Can anyone direct me to a reference (preferrably with photo) of an Original Long Land Pattern Bess (early style with banana shaped lock plate) with "Dublin Castle" engraved on the lock plate?

      I have searched and have yet to find a photo of an original First Model with such engraving. Again I'm looking for a photo of an Original not a repro.

      Thanks,

      Rob VanLier
    • The Hairy Loon
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 17, 2013
        There's a picture of one on
        http://www.icollector.com/18th-Century-A-rare-Dublin-Castle-Brown-Bess-musket_i10466978went
        on auction in 2011, not very big picture though, also not an early one
        as it has a steel ramrod.
        Also one up for sale at £4450 (about 6992USD) on
        http://www.warstuff.com/Original-C1795-Dublin-Castle-Brown-Bess-Flintloc-i1551863.htmthat
        one has a close-up of the lock with writing if you click on the
        thumbnail.
        David Royal Sappers & Miners.

        On 13 June 2013 15:51, rob.vanlier <rob.vanlier@...> wrote:

        > Can anyone direct me to a reference (preferrably with photo) of an
        > Original Long Land Pattern Bess (early style with banana shaped lock plate)
        > with "Dublin Castle" engraved on the lock plate?
        >
        > I have searched and have yet to find a photo of an original First Model
        > with such engraving. Again I'm looking for a photo of an Original not a
        > repro.
        >
        > Thanks,
        >
        > Rob VanLier

      • Schnitzer, Eric
        Message 3 of 4 , Jun 18, 2013
          Hi Rob,

          There is no better source than *The Brown Bess* (2010) by Erik Goldstein
          and Stuart Mowbray. The photography is unparalleled.

          Eric

          --
          Sincerely,

          Eric Schnitzer
          Park Ranger / Historian
          Saratoga National Historical Park
          648 Rte 32
          Stillwater, NY 12170
          Phone: 518.670.2981
          Fax: 518.670.2989
          Like us on Facebook! <http://www.facebook.com/saratoganhp>

          *"I have just time to inform you of the inexpressible pleasure I shall have
          of seeing the famous Lt. General Burgoyne and his Army march out of his
          Intrenchments to-morrow morning and surrender himself and Army prisoners of
          war. He Capitulated this day, how changed the scene, a few weeks ago all
          was gloomy and seemed like the glimmering of twilight, but now the cloud is
          dispelled and rays of conquest beams high in this Department"*

          �Major James Hughes, supernumerary aide-de-camp to Major General Horatio
          Gates, 15 October 1777

        • Jack Reimer
          Message 4 of 4 , Jun 18, 2013
            Eric,
            Rob is spot on, a tremendous book..Baily's book has lots of great written details and photos of originals, but the Goldstein book is the best..

            Jack