tent poles and roof racks

  • britmarinecapt
    Message 1 of 7 , May 20, 2013
      So I am the proud new owner of my first roof rack. Any advice for securing tent poles to a cross bar roof rack? I want to avoid the whole, "Torpedos los" thing when I hit the brakes.

      Jim McG
    • John M. Johnston
      Message 2 of 7 , May 20, 2013
        Jim I use bungi cords around the rack and poles. They are immovable even when I push and pull on them. No worries.

        Cheers,
        John

        John M. Johnston
        “P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; therefore I beg you to write and let me know.” - Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.

        On May 20, 2013, at 9:06 PM, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@...> wrote:

        > So I am the proud new owner of my first roof rack. Any advice for securing tent poles to a cross bar roof rack? I want to avoid the whole, "Torpedos los" thing when I hit the brakes.
        >
        > Jim McG

      • John Ogden
        Message 3 of 7 , May 20, 2013
          I concur: bungi cords.

          On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 9:34 PM, John M. Johnston <Sgt42RHR@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Jim I use bungi cords around the rack and poles. They are immovable even
          > when I push and pull on them. No worries.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > John
          >
          > John M. Johnston
          > �P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried;
          > therefore I beg you to write and let me know.� - Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.
          >

          > On May 20, 2013, at 9:06 PM, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@...>
          > wrote:
          >
          > > So I am the proud new owner of my first roof rack. Any advice for
          > securing tent poles to a cross bar roof rack? I want to avoid the whole,
          > "Torpedos los" thing when I hit the brakes.
          > >
          > > Jim McG

          John J. Ogden

        • Rhiannon Hood
          Message 4 of 7 , May 20, 2013
            Rachet straps are your friend. I've had 12' Pavilion poles strapped to my roof rack from VA to PA and never had anything shift. Just make sure they're flat or the straps may whistle and be extremely annoying.

            Rhiannon

            Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note® II

            Jim I use bungi cords around the rack and poles. They are immovable even when I push and pull on them. No worries.

            Cheers,
            John

            John M. Johnston
            “P.S. If you do not receive this, of course it must have been miscarried; therefore I beg you to write and let me know.” - Sir Boyle Roche, M.P.

            On May 20, 2013, at 9:06 PM, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@...> wrote:

            > So I am the proud new owner of my first roof rack. Any advice for securing tent poles to a cross bar roof rack? I want to avoid the whole, "Torpedos los" thing when I hit the brakes.
            >
            > Jim McG

          • pbspme
            Message 5 of 7 , May 20, 2013
              Jim

              I just tie them on with a long rope. Sometimes I have poles for 4 wedges/EM tents, 2 walls, and a fly. Lot of poles. I try to keep wider/thicker poles together as well as longer or shorter poles together and use the rope to keep them tight along their sides and to stop side shifting. Have a new Chrysler van and hate the stow away roof racks. I am making up a pair of side rails out of aluminum unitstrut to screw to the roof rack sides for more rope tie points.

              John Mills

              ps - tentless camping looks very tempting while I'm loading everything.

            • Allegretto
              Message 6 of 7 , May 20, 2013
                Consider putting a mesh bag over the ends to keep the loose inner poles from sliding out. I use ratched straps on my Thule roof racks

                Bob A
                2LD

                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, PBSP@... wrote:

                > Jim
                >
                > I just tie them on with a long rope. Sometimes I have poles for 4 wedges/EM tents, 2 walls, and a fly. Lot of poles. I try to keep wider/thicker poles together as well as longer or shorter poles together and use the rope to keep them tight along their sides and to stop side shifting. Have a new Chrysler van and hate the stow away roof racks. I am making up a pair of side rails out of aluminum unitstrut to screw to the roof rack sides for more rope tie points.
                >
                > John Mills
                >
                > ps - tentless camping looks very tempting while I'm loading everything.

              • JasonN
                Message 7 of 7 , May 21, 2013
                  Not exactly the same thing, but when my sailing buddies and I haul our Hobie 16s with multiple ratchet straps we observe the longstanding tradition of putting a twist or two in each freestanding strap to eliminate the buzzing and flapping that WILL loosen them and send your beloved Hobie on one last voyage. Otherwise, yes, where they are laying against anything they are kept flat.

                  Jason