Re: Recruiting for Artillery

  • britmarinecapt
    Message 1 of 5 , May 8, 2013
      Andrew:

      So did they purchase a new artillery piece, or are you referring to the bronze gun tube and carriage already there (affectionately named Barbara) that dates back to the mid-70s?

      IIRC, that gun was cast off of a 4 lbr, but had a steel sleeve put in for safety. The gun carriage was made by Ash Ordnance Works, but I think they have gone out of business.

      So will you kit the crew out as 60th RAR, or Royal Artillery?

      Jim McGaughey
      former member, 60th RAR Fort Pitt Museum, past Chairman of the Royal American Regiment, Fort Pitt Museum

      Message 2 of 5 , May 9, 2013
        Jim,

        We had a brand new six pounder constructed by Heritage Restorations, the guys who have done all of Fort Ligonier's artillery. The cannon is a full scale bronze six. We chose to go with a six because in Jan. of 1763 when the artillery inventory is completed at Fort Pitt, of the 40 guns at the post, 10 are six pounders. We will be outfitting the crew as Royal Artillery since there was a contingent of Royal Artillery at the site throughout the British occupation.
        -Andrew

        --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "britmarinecapt" <britmarinecapt@...> wrote:

        > Andrew:
        >
        > So did they purchase a new artillery piece, or are you referring to the bronze gun tube and carriage already there (affectionately named Barbara) that dates back to the mid-70s?
        >
        > IIRC, that gun was cast off of a 4 lbr, but had a steel sleeve put in for safety. The gun carriage was made by Ash Ordnance Works, but I think they have gone out of business.
        >
        > So will you kit the crew out as 60th RAR, or Royal Artillery?
        >
        > Jim McGaughey
        > former member, 60th RAR Fort Pitt Museum, past Chairman of the Royal American Regiment, Fort Pitt Museum
        >

        > --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, andrewgaerte@ wrote:
        > >
        > > The Fort Pitt Museum, located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, is recruiting
        > > volunteers to serve on its 18th century cannon crew. The museum has recently
        > > purchased a Seven Years War period English bronze six pounder to use for
        > > interpretive programing and special events. Volunteers will be provided with
        > > uniforms and will need to attend the museum's artillery safety training course.
        > > If you are interested in serving on the Fort Pitt Museum's cannon please contact
        > > Education Manger, Andrew Gaerte at 412-281-9285 or
        > > apgaerte (at) heinzhistorycenter.org
        > >
        > > Andrew Gaerte
        > > Education Manager
        > > Fort Pitt Museum
        > > 601 Commonwealth Place
        > > Pittsburgh PA, 15222
        > > 412-281-9285
        > > apgaerte (at) heinzhistorycenter.org

      • Greg Ketcham
        Message 3 of 5 , May 9, 2013
          Ah, Andrew, I wish I were closer to the Three Rivers.

          Maybe if I find myself visiting at some point I can sub in? :-)

          regards,
          Greg Ketcham
          2nd Albany (1775)
          Schuyler's Co, NY Provincials (1759)
          Kellogg's Co, NY Artillery (1812)
          (a matross through and through)

        • britmarinecapt
          Message 4 of 5 , May 9, 2013
            Way cool. IIRC, we often had problems with the carriage wheels as the wood would dry out and split, perhaps due to being kept inside so much - though outside you get wood rot. I can't imagine what a bear that gun will be to move around. We often used to get some of the park workers help move the gun with their little park ATV.

            Good luck with the new gun and crew. I look forward to seeing it.

            Best wishes,

            Jim McGaughey