Touch Hole Relieving Tool

  • Joseph Ruckman
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 28 4:43 PM
      Here are a couple of pictures of Michael Seidelman's reproduction of an original touch hole relieving tool. Hopefully these will go through and I won't have to post them to our photo folder.

      Joseph Ruckman

      http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/JosephRuckman/touchhole1_zpsc3c008a6.jpg

      http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h157/JosephRuckman/touchhole2_zps6c9c9492.jpg
    • Dan Gracia
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 29 4:36 AM
        Thanks for posting those links Joseph. I presume this was used from the
        breech end before the breech plug was installed. It's remarkable to see
        such a tool.

        Certainly all reproduction rifles that are currently manufactured use touch
        hole liners. Most can be screwed in and out for replacement if needed.
        Virtually all of them are coned from the outside and the best ones are
        coned from the inside. That tool that Joseph posted could be used for
        both methods. Not sure how much difference it makes because I've never
        shot a rifle that didn't' have one. However, a number of muskets are
        available that seem to work just fine without them. It appears to be more
        important to have the coning on the inside than on the outside so the
        powder is allowed to be closer to the flash from the pan. It might very
        well be that touch hole liners got their start as a repair for a touch hole
        that had become too big due to wear (totally conjecture on that).

        YMHS,
        Dan

        --
        Dan Gracia
        Virginia 7th Regiment

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 29 9:59 AM
          > I presume this was used from the breech end before the breech plug
          > was installed.

          Correct - or with the breech plug removed.

          > Not sure how much difference it makes because I've never
          > shot a rifle that didn't' have one.

          None of my rifles have them. They shoot just fine.

          > It might very well be that touch hole liners got their start as a
          > repair for a touch hole that had become too big due to wear

          I believe I've read some period gunsmith ads offering such repairs, but I don't have the references handy. Perhaps someone else in the group will oblige?

          Regards,

          Joseph