Annapolis to Bladensburg: BelAir Presentation

  • robertaselig@juno.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 24, 2013
      Salut - next week I'll be speaking about this topic at BelAir. The problem with finding the route is that DeWitt draws a map from Annapolis to Bladensburg even though he was not supposed to go to Annapolis, the French, for whom the map was intended, don't follow that route via Governor's bridge but march all the way back to Crownsville, we have only a single primary source by a waggoner from Massachusetts and a road description from Berthier of the road he was not supposed to take, and development as in: Defense Highway and City of Bowie, among others, wreaked havoc with the colonial road system. And no-one has been able to figure out so far where the "Age House" on the road to Bladensburg was or who owned it. Even though it is kind of important since the French wagon train camped there for a night. Any information will be greatly appreciated. Bob============From Baltimore and Annapolis to Bladensburg and Beyond: The Yorktown Campaign in Prince George's County In mid-September 1781, a Continental Army train consisted of around 400 oxen, close to 400 horses and +/- 75 personnel traveled from Baltimore to Bladensburg on their way to Yorktown. On 21 September 1781, another military column consisting of "Lauzun's Legion, the artillery horses, and the army wagon train [ … ] numbering 1,500 horses, 800 oxen, and 220 wagons" departed Annapolis for Bladensburg and Virginia as well. But while we know much about the composition of these columns, the routing these men and their thousands of animals took across Prince George’s County and their halts along the way are much more difficult to ascertain. This public presentation will present the current state of research into the logistics of the march, its participants as well as the possible routes they traveled across Prince George’s County on their way to Yorktown in 1781. Time: Thursday, 2 May 2013 @ 19:00 Place: BelAir Mansion, 12207 Tulip Grove Drive Bowie, MD 20715Free and open to the public