Re: [Revlist] Visit to Lexington and Concord

  • Jack Reimer
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 11 7:31 AM
      The Concord Inn serves fantastic food as does a variety of small eateries on Concord's main street. North Bridge is a do not miss as part of Battle Road..

      Jack Reimer
      7th Foot

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 12 6:18 AM
        A very simple thing to do is to drive along the Battle Road, stopping at the various places and witness houses. www.battleroad.org has links to the National Park, Lexington Historical Society, Concord Museum, etc.

        Particular sites include Barrett Farmhouse, North Bridge, Hartwell Tavern, Fiske Hill, Lexington Green, The Hancock-Clarke house, Buckman Tavern, and Munroe Tavern.

        If after work, the houses and museums will likely be closed, but remain interesting all the same.

        Another historic inn is the Colonial Inn in Concord Center. Its menu has strayed from traditional colonial fare, and a glass of wine hits for $10, but it's right there and convenient.

        Paul O'Shaughnessy
        10th Regt of Foot
      • Dennis
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 12 6:54 AM
          Thank you!

          --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, Michael Keefer <micha7el@...> wrote:

          > Dennis,
          > There are tons of places to eat along the way. They have at different times of the year tours of either walking and driving. I think the most thrilling place for sure to visit is the "Green" itself.
          >
          > Mike
          >

          > >________________________________

        • Dennis
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 12 6:56 AM
            Thank You!!!

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, PBSP@... wrote:

            > Dennis
            >
            > Make a point of eating at the Red Horse Tavern, commonly known as the Wayside Inn, in Sudbury. http://www.wayside.org/
            > Its a short drive from Concorn & Lexington, a very historic site and a good tavern and inn. Sudbury in itself is a very historic town, who sent the largest contigent of militia and minute to the April 19th alarm in 1775 as well as the site of a major battle itself on April 19th...............1676, during King Philip's War, the largest war fought in New England. The Old Grist Mill, the Martha-Mary Chaple, and the Mary Had a Little Lamb Red School House are all a short walk from the inn.
            >
            > There is a lot to see in the whole area, more than you can get to on a work trip to the area. Major sections of the park are the north bridge in Concord, the visitor centor in Lincoln, and the Greene in Lexington, with many smaller sites and historic building within the park too. Also there is the Museum of Our National Heritage in Lexington http://www.nationalheritagemuseum.org/
            >
            > Though I'm in NJ now, I grew up in the area and answered the Alarm for several years from my home town's training field and minuteman statue (the blacksmith, one of 3 statues that include the ones at Lexington green and Concord's north bridge.) in Framingham.
            >
            > John Mills
            > Mott's Artillery

          • Dennis
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 13 10:16 PM
              Hi Paul,

              Thanks for your input, Battle Road is on my agenda. The Colonial Inn is a little pricey.

              Dennis
              1st Cont. Reg. of Foot