RE: SPAM-LOW: [Revlist] Re: Soldiers and/or Campfollowers prosecuted for looting (crossposted)

  • bvogler
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 22, 2013
      List & Marie-

      The British Order Books are filled with instructions to the Provost Martials
      to enforce Army Regulations against looting, plundering, marauding, &tc.

      Examples include:

      "The Provost Marshal has orders to execute on the Spot any Soldier found
      guilty of marauding." Ensign Glyns Journal, 1776

      "Any person belonging to the Army or Transports found guilt of Plundering
      and any Soldier stragling from his Platoon, will be executed upon the Spot."
      - General Orders, June 29th, 1776

      "The advanced Centinels and Patroles are to stop all Stragglers, whether men
      or Women. Blacks or Whites, who shall attempt to pass the Limits of their
      Posts, and confine them. Such who are found with Plunder, or committing any
      Act of Depreadation, are to be sent to the Provost in irons."

      General Orders, Lt. Col. A. Campbell, Dec. 22, 1778

      "The frequent Depredations committed by Soldiers. in Defiance of Repreated
      Orders has induced the Commander in Chief to direct the Provost to go his
      rounds attended by the Executioner, with orders to hand up, upon the spot,
      the first man he shall detect in the fact, without waiting for further proof
      by Trial. The Commanding Officers are to take particular Care that the
      Soldiers are acquainted with this order."

      General Orders of MG Wm. Howe, "Kemble Papers, Vol. I, pages 269-270

      "The Commander in Chief by his own Authorty orders for immediate Execution
      Andrew Lawder private Soldier in the 10th Regt. of Foot Guilty of the crime
      of Marauding & Detect'd with plunder upon him & is Determined for the future
      to show no mercy to any man Guilty of that Crime."

      MG Wm Howe, Order Book, Sept. 9, 1777

      "It is Brigadier-Generals O'Hara's orders, that the officers commanding
      companies, cause an immediate inspection of the articles of clothing at
      present in possession of the women in their companies and an exact account
      taken thereof by the pay Sergeants, after which their necessaries are to be
      examined at proper opportunities and every article found in addition
      thereto, burned at the head of the company; except such as have been fairly
      purchased on application to the commanding officers.."

      General Orders, March 1, 1781

      "A woman having been robbed of a watch, black silk handkerchief, a gallon of
      peach brandy, and one shirt, and by the description by a Soldier of the
      Guards, the camp and every man's kit - is to be immediately searched.."

      General Orders, March 1, 1781

      "Mary Coulfritt and Elizabeth Clark followers of the armey Tried for
      Plundering. The Court is of the Oppinion that Mary Colfritt is not Guilt -
      But that Elizabeth Clark is Guilty and Do therefore Adjudge her to Receive
      100 Lashes on her Bear Back and to Drmd. Out of the Armey in Most Publick
      manner."

      General Orders, July 3, 1776

      General Washington's Orders to Captain von Heer (commander of the American
      Marechaussee Corps (Provost Corps):

      "The principal Duty of the Corps under your command while the Army is
      encamped- is to patrole the Camp and its environs, for the purpose of
      apprehending Deserters, Marauders, Drunkards, Rioters, Stragglers and all
      othr soldiers that may be found biolating General Orders." Oct. 11, 1778

      And so it goes,

      Bob V.

      "The Provost Martial is ordered to go his rounds."

      > I'm looking for primary accounts of soldiers or campfollowers arrested
      and prosecuted for looting during the Rev War. Was there an army policy? Did
      it depend on your commanding officer? Rank? Or was it something that was
      tolerated or even ignored?

      > Marie Caron

    • Lee Boyle
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
        There is a doctoral dissertation on military justice:Berlin, Robert H. “The Administration of Military
        Justice in the Continental Army During the American Revolution,”  PH. D. Diss., U of CA at Santa Barbara    1976

        ________________________________
        Try "Summer soldiers: A Survey & Index of Revolutionary War Courts-Martial" by James C. Neagles.

        Cheers,
        Todd

        On Mar 22, 2013, at 7:20 AM, Marie Caron wrote:

        > I'm looking for primary accounts of soldiers or campfollowers arrested
        > and prosecuted for looting during the Rev War. Was there an army policy?
        > Did it depend on your commanding officer? Rank? Or was it something that
        > was tolerated or even ignored?
        >
        > Marie Caron

      • bvogler
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 25, 2013
          List & Marie-

          There is another great book on military justice: __Civilians Under Military
          Justice: The British Practice since 1689, Especially in Morth America__ by
          Frederick Bernays Wiener, Univ. of Chicago Press, 1967. Appendix II has an
          extensive list in chart format of the out comes of "Trials of Civilians By
          British General Courts-Martial During the War of American Independence.

          And so it goes,

          Bob V.