looking for a deal on a privates wedge/A-Frame tent

  • mnb.1207
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 11, 2013
      I am entering my 2nd year/3rd seasoning of reenacting and feel its time to start looking for a tent. I am not looking for anything special just hoping to find a deal on a basic privates wedge/A-frame tent even if just the canvas I can make my own poles and stakes. Thanks,
      Michael
    • Todd Post
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
        Michael,

        This is probably not the answer you want to hear, but the overwhelming majority of tents in the hobby are wrong. They are not accurate historic reproductions based on the primary documentation in terms of construction details and techniques or in materials.

        I can't find a link to the curent "edition" of "To Shelter the Enlisted Man: A Study of Other Ranks Tents During the American War for Independence" which is an ongoing, evolving article coming out of a collaboration between Gregory Theberge, Steven Rayner, Jim Mullins and myself. Greg mantains it and I'll have to ping him for the current location. I can point you to an early draft though of part one: http://secondvirginia.wordpress.com/2010/11/23/tents-part-1/

        You'll see that while most tents in the hobby are made of twilled cotton canvas, in the 18th century they were commonly made of plain weave linen or hemp canvas (sometimes other materials were used like osnaburg, Russia drill, etc.). From the best I can tell, period common tents did not have ties on the flaps, closed instead by using a 13th peg that the tent flap loops would hook on to. The loops were rope, not fabric or webbing.

        Your best bet is to get the fabric and make a tent yourself. I'd be happy to send you a pattern off list if you're interested. The best fabric to use is Utrecht Art Supplies' Utrecht Type 215 Unprimed Belgian Linen Canvas. I've found that you get the best cloth economy getting two tents out of 16 yards of fabric, and they offer quanity discounts, so I've always tried to buy in bulk and going in with others.

        My group has made several hand-finished common tents, a bell of arms and a horseman's tent from this fabric and have been using them in the field since 2006. They hold up well and don't leak. Photos can be found at: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.458653719560.247691.48325024560&type=3

        Cheers,
        Todd

        On 03/12/13, mnb.1207 wrote:

        > I am entering my 2nd year/3rd seasoning of reenacting and feel its time to start
        > looking for a tent. I am not looking for anything special just hoping to find a deal
        > on a basic privates wedge/A-frame tent even if just the canvas I can make my
        > own poles and stakes. Thanks,
        > Michael
      • Dr. Larry A. Maxwell
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 12, 2013
          Michael
          Tentsmiths is a good source for ready made tents. The most important
          thing is to check and see what your unit recommends. Then... if it is up
          to you and... if you want to be more accurate, most of the tents were
          made of hemp linen. 11 years ago I was in Hole Depot and found they
          were selling large imported drop cloths. To my surprise, they were made
          of hemp linen. I was not able to find a patten back then, so I borrowed
          a tent from the 2nd NY (a unit with with high standards) and drew out a
          pattern and then hand sewed 2 hemp linen tents. It was a lot of hard
          work but very rewarding. Apparently they were so desirable one of them
          was stolen at an event about 5 years ago. The other one is still working
          nicely. There were some posts on this list about 2-3 years ago about
          making linen tents.
          Everytime I got to Home Depot I look for more of those hemp linen drop
          cloths. Usually they do not have them. Last year they did and I picked
          up two more. I thonk they cost about $50 each. So... who knows... maybe
          a Home Depot or other hardware store may have them in your area. If
          not, and you want to make a more accurate one, I am sure some people on
          this list can provide you with info as to where to get the linen and
          patterns. And I recoomend you do it all by hand. Why spend the money on
          accurate materials and use a sewing machine, which they did not have
          back then (of course you can if you want), It is very rewarding for me
          to make something myself that is as accurate as possible. It is always
          fun when the public asks you, where did you get your tent, to say, it is
          an authentic reproduction, and I made it. The same is true of anything.
          I hand sew all my own clothing, made my cartridge box, bayonet sling.
          belt, hat, haversack. Sure I could use a machine to do the seams no one
          sees (many good people do that) but I do it by hand and find it
          personally rewarding.
          Good Luck
          Larry Maxwell, 4t NY
          Living History Guild
        • Douglas Butler
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
            This gentleman had 60 used 1812 era tents for sale for $225 ea. (Canadian) including stakes & poles a few weeks ago. Likely he still has a few. They are probably as accurate for RevWar as anything from Tentsmiths or Panther is likely to be.

            David J. Brunelle

            23 Byrnes Crescent

            Penetanguishene, ON, Canada

            L9M 1W4

            Cell - 705-716-7124

            SherpaDoug
            YMM

            --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mnb.1207" <mnb.1207@...> wrote:

            > I am entering my 2nd year/3rd seasoning of reenacting and feel its time to start looking for a tent. I am not looking for anything special just hoping to find a deal on a basic privates wedge/A-frame tent even if just the canvas I can make my own poles and stakes. Thanks,
            > Michael

          • Jack Reimer
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
              For about $75.00 more you can get a Steve Allie hand done tent that is near faultless in material and construction. Somebody here might have a link to Steve.

              Jack Reimer

              ________________________________
              This gentleman had 60 used 1812 era tents for sale for $225 ea. (Canadian) including stakes & poles a few weeks ago. Likely he still has a few. They are probably as accurate for RevWar as anything from Tentsmiths or Panther is likely to be.

              David J. Brunelle

              23 Byrnes Crescent

              Penetanguishene, ON, Canada

              L9M 1W4

              Cell - 705-716-7124

              SherpaDoug
              YMM

              --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mnb.1207" <mnb.1207@...> wrote:

              > I am entering my 2nd year/3rd seasoning of reenacting and feel its time to start looking for a tent. I am not looking for anything special just hoping to find a deal on a basic privates wedge/A-frame tent even if just the canvas I can make my own poles and stakes. Thanks,
              > Michael

            • mbrmanning2
              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
                --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "Douglas Butler" <sherpadoug@...> wrote:

                > This gentleman had 60 used 1812 era tents for sale for $225 ea. (Canadian) including stakes & poles a few weeks ago. Likely he still has a few. They are probably as accurate for RevWar as anything from Tentsmiths or Panther is likely to be.
                >

                > David J. Brunelle
                >
                > 23 Byrnes Crescent
                >
                > Penetanguishene, ON, Canada
                >
                > L9M 1W4
                >
                > Cell - 705-716-7124

                Be very careful! I looked into these tents a few years ago. They are from an annual art installation in NYC. Unless something has changed in the interim, they match NO historical tent dimensions from any period. That is not to say they are not used by re-enactors for whom cost is a greater consideration than a uniform tent line.

                Tentsmiths' products at least adhere to period dimensions so, no, these are not at least as accurate.
              • Todd Post
                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
                  David,

                  War of 1812 tents and Revolutionary War tents are not the same thing, as outlined in the tent article I mentioned. Since what Tentsmiths and Panther sells are ficition, they really can't be used as a yard stick for authenticity.

                  Cheers,
                  Todd

                  On 03/13/13, Douglas Butler wrote:

                  This gentleman had 60 used 1812 era tents for sale for $225 ea. (Canadian) including stakes & poles a few weeks ago. Likely he still has a few. They are probably as accurate for RevWar as anything from Tentsmiths or Panther is likely to be.

                  David J. Brunelle

                  23 Byrnes Crescent

                  Penetanguishene, ON, Canada

                  L9M 1W4

                  Cell - 705-716-7124

                  SherpaDoug
                  YMM

                  --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mnb.1207" <mnb.1207@...> wrote:

                  > I am entering my 2nd year/3rd seasoning of reenacting and feel its time to start looking for a tent. I am not looking for anything special just hoping to find a deal on a basic privates wedge/A-frame tent even if just the canvas I can make my own poles and stakes. Thanks,
                  > Michael

                • Rob Frasier
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
                    Todd,
                    I would like a pattern if you care to share.

                    Rob Frasier
                    Aldens 6Th Mass Regt

                    ------------------------------
                    On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 9:59 AM EDT Todd Post wrote:

                    >David,
                    >
                    >War of 1812 tents and Revolutionary War tents are not the same thing, as outlined in the tent article I mentioned. Since what Tentsmiths and Panther sells are ficition, they really can't be used as a yard stick for authenticity.
                    >
                    >Cheers,
                    >Todd
                    >

                    >On 03/13/13, Douglas Butler wrote:
                    >

                    >This gentleman had 60 used 1812 era tents for sale for $225 ea. (Canadian) including stakes & poles a few weeks ago. Likely he still has a few. They are probably as accurate for RevWar as anything from Tentsmiths or Panther is likely to be.
                    >

                    >David J. Brunelle
                    >
                    >23 Byrnes Crescent
                    >
                    >Penetanguishene, ON, Canada
                    >
                    >L9M 1W4
                    >
                    >Cell - 705-716-7124
                    >

                    >SherpaDoug
                    >YMM
                    >

                    >--- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mnb.1207" <mnb.1207@...> wrote:
                    >>
                    >> I am entering my 2nd year/3rd seasoning of reenacting and feel its time to start looking for a tent. I am not looking for anything special just hoping to find a deal on a basic privates wedge/A-frame tent even if just the canvas I can make my own poles and stakes. Thanks,
                    >> Michael

                  • Don Peterson
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2013
                      My unit gas been looking for a correct pattern for handmade tents! If anyone has one that would be great!
                      Thanks
                      Don
                      Orange County Militia

                      Sent from my iPhone

                      On Mar 13, 2013, at 12:19 PM, Rob Frasier <sawmaster05@...> wrote:

                      > Todd,
                      > I would like a pattern if you care to share.
                      >
                      > Rob Frasier
                      > Aldens 6Th Mass Regt
                      >

                      > ------------------------------
                      > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 9:59 AM EDT Todd Post wrote:
                      >
                      >> David,
                      >>
                      >> War of 1812 tents and Revolutionary War tents are not the same thing, as outlined in the tent article I mentioned. Since what Tentsmiths and Panther sells are ficition, they really can't be used as a yard stick for authenticity.
                      >>
                      >> Cheers,
                      >> Todd
                      >>

                      >> On 03/13/13, Douglas Butler wrote:
                      >>

                      >> This gentleman had 60 used 1812 era tents for sale for $225 ea. (Canadian) including stakes & poles a few weeks ago. Likely he still has a few. They are probably as accurate for RevWar as anything from Tentsmiths or Panther is likely to be.
                      >>

                      >> David J. Brunelle
                      >>
                      >> 23 Byrnes Crescent
                      >>
                      >> Penetanguishene, ON, Canada
                      >>
                      >> L9M 1W4
                      >>
                      >> Cell - 705-716-7124
                      >>

                      >> SherpaDoug
                      >> YMM
                      >>

                      >> --- In Revlist@yahoogroups.com, "mnb.1207" <mnb.1207@...> wrote:
                      >>>
                      >>> I am entering my 2nd year/3rd seasoning of reenacting and feel its time to start looking for a tent. I am not looking for anything special just hoping to find a deal on a basic privates wedge/A-frame tent even if just the canvas I can make my own poles and stakes. Thanks,
                      >>> Michael

                    • Dr. Larry A. Maxwell
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 15, 2013
                        Update:
                        Change from Monday to Tue. Mar 19 at 6 pm at Tilly Foster Farm Exit 19
                        off I-84, Brewster, NY
                        Militia Look - any age shape or size
                        No facial hair or eyeglasses during shooting
                        No shooting, just carrying muskets off to battle
                        Your name will be in the credits. You will get a DVD of the show
                        If you have any questions contact me off list
                        Larry Maxwell, 4th NY