Re: [Revlist] Dr. Franklin's fur hat

  • John White
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      On 2/18/2013 10:24 AM, Ochie1@... wrote:

      > Weather like we are having reminds me to continue my quest to find a
      > hatmaker, who might be able to duplicate for me, the fur hat that Mssr
      > Franklin
      > wore when he arrived in Paris.
      >
      > According to accounts of the day, his original fur cap was made of Martin
      > fur, something that would be entirely too costly for my purse. I did,
      > upon
      > the recommendation of several Liste members, purchase a beautiful beaver
      > pelt about four years ago, at the Ft. Frederick Market Fair. Also
      > following
      > the recommendations of others, I engaged Bill Wigham to create this
      > hat for
      > me from the beaver fur.
      >
      > It seems that poor Mr. Wigham has fallen upon hard times, and suffered a
      > bit of personal loss in recent years, and he kindly returned my pelt
      > to me
      > not too long ago. This brings me back to square one.
      >
      > I am once again seeking a skilled hatmaker to reproduce this hat as
      > closely
      > as possible. There will obviously be a bit of leeway in the precise
      > construction of the hat, as there are very few images of it. However, I
      > greatly value authenticity in my portrayal of Dr. Franklin, and I do
      > want the hat
      > to look good. Does anyone have any suggestions?
      >
      > Bill Ochester
      > _www.BFranklinPrinter.com_ (http://www.BFranklinPrinter.com)
      > 4th Legionary Corps

      Bill

      Several years ago when I was still able to go afield with my sutler
      store, I realized that I needed something in the fur line to keep my
      head warm, especially at the aforementioned Market Fair.

      I did an extensive search on eBay and finally identified one that looked
      close to Franklin's hat. It came from China, by way of Australia.
      Besides having two tufts that looked like some traditional
      representation of ears, it was fine. I had asked a number of
      knowledgeable folks if they could identify the donor animal, without
      much success. My vote is for dog, considering the country of origin.

      --
      John White
      Avalon Forge

    • Bill Blair
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
        I found a womens mink hat in thrift shop that looks very much like Mssr. Franklin’s Paris hat for only $5.00.
        You may want to check out a few shops.
        Bill Blair