Dr. Franklin's fur hat

  • bince1
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
      Weather like we are having reminds me to continue my quest to find a
      hatmaker, who might be able to duplicate for me, the fur hat that Mssr Franklin
      wore when he arrived in Paris.

      According to accounts of the day, his original fur cap was made of Martin
      fur, something that would be entirely too costly for my purse. I did, upon
      the recommendation of several Liste members, purchase a beautiful beaver
      pelt about four years ago, at the Ft. Frederick Market Fair. Also following
      the recommendations of others, I engaged Bill Wigham to create this hat for
      me from the beaver fur.

      It seems that poor Mr. Wigham has fallen upon hard times, and suffered a
      bit of personal loss in recent years, and he kindly returned my pelt to me
      not too long ago. This brings me back to square one.

      I am once again seeking a skilled hatmaker to reproduce this hat as closely
      as possible. There will obviously be a bit of leeway in the precise
      construction of the hat, as there are very few images of it. However, I
      greatly value authenticity in my portrayal of Dr. Franklin, and I do want the hat
      to look good. Does anyone have any suggestions?

      Bill Ochester
      _www.BFranklinPrinter.com_ (http://www.BFranklinPrinter.com)
      4th Legionary Corps

    • John White
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 18, 2013
        On 2/18/2013 10:24 AM, Ochie1@... wrote:

        > Weather like we are having reminds me to continue my quest to find a
        > hatmaker, who might be able to duplicate for me, the fur hat that Mssr
        > Franklin
        > wore when he arrived in Paris.
        >
        > According to accounts of the day, his original fur cap was made of Martin
        > fur, something that would be entirely too costly for my purse. I did,
        > upon
        > the recommendation of several Liste members, purchase a beautiful beaver
        > pelt about four years ago, at the Ft. Frederick Market Fair. Also
        > following
        > the recommendations of others, I engaged Bill Wigham to create this
        > hat for
        > me from the beaver fur.
        >
        > It seems that poor Mr. Wigham has fallen upon hard times, and suffered a
        > bit of personal loss in recent years, and he kindly returned my pelt
        > to me
        > not too long ago. This brings me back to square one.
        >
        > I am once again seeking a skilled hatmaker to reproduce this hat as
        > closely
        > as possible. There will obviously be a bit of leeway in the precise
        > construction of the hat, as there are very few images of it. However, I
        > greatly value authenticity in my portrayal of Dr. Franklin, and I do
        > want the hat
        > to look good. Does anyone have any suggestions?
        >
        > Bill Ochester
        > _www.BFranklinPrinter.com_ (http://www.BFranklinPrinter.com)
        > 4th Legionary Corps

        Bill

        Several years ago when I was still able to go afield with my sutler
        store, I realized that I needed something in the fur line to keep my
        head warm, especially at the aforementioned Market Fair.

        I did an extensive search on eBay and finally identified one that looked
        close to Franklin's hat. It came from China, by way of Australia.
        Besides having two tufts that looked like some traditional
        representation of ears, it was fine. I had asked a number of
        knowledgeable folks if they could identify the donor animal, without
        much success. My vote is for dog, considering the country of origin.

        --
        John White
        Avalon Forge

      • Bill Blair
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 19, 2013
          I found a womens mink hat in thrift shop that looks very much like Mssr. Franklin’s Paris hat for only $5.00.
          You may want to check out a few shops.
          Bill Blair