84th RHE 1st Battalion

  • SSY
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 17, 2013
      Does anyone know of the doc for the altering of the green provencial coats for use with the first issue of highland wear for the 84th 1st Battalion 1777-78?

      I know these troops were issued green coats faced red during the defense of Quebec and I know that these troops were still wearing the provencial issue in 1777. This is where things get a little fuzzy. The RHE was sent their traditional highland garb in the later half of 77 but I have read several posts and unit history articles that mention the 1st battalion altering their green coats to wear with their first issue of highland garb. The reasoning behind this was that the 2nd battalion was in desperate need of clothing so had basically taken the red coats sent with the first issue so the 1st battalion continued to use the green coats.

      "In the second quarter of 1777, they received kilts, belted plaids (or perhaps both) in the government sett and wore these with their green Provincial coats (which were shortened) until these wore out, at which time they were replaced with the red coats of regulars"

      This is the section I have seen on several unit histories regarding the green coat with 1st issue clothing. In every example there is no doc and no supporting citation so I am curious if anyone is familiar with the order to do this or even a charge for tailors to alter the coats that would validate this practice.

      I have seen the doc for the 2nd Batt clothing situation and that all lines up. I guess at this point what Im looking for is documentation to verify that the green provencial coats were indeed used after the switch from provencial to the regular red coats by the 1st Batt and if the green coats would have been in use with the highland garb issued in late 77.

      Cheers
      Stephen