Re: [Revlist] Morgan's turkey call

  • Schnitzer, Eric
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 14, 2013
      Hi Jack,

      The only known reference to Morgan using the "turkey call" is found in
      James Wilkinson's 1816 memoir. During the timeframe of the Battles of
      Saratoga In 1777, Wilkinson was Lieutenant Colonel and the deputy adjutant
      general of the Northern Department. Although his life during and after the
      war was both chequered and scandalous, Wilkinson's memoir is not without
      great value (he did a lot of research to compile it). But it must be taken
      with great care; if we were to believe that Morgan used of the turkey call,
      we must also believe that Morgan "burst into tears" at the same time he was
      recalling his men with the turkey call.

      As for the devise itself, the only thing Wilkinson adds is that it was an
      "instrument made for decoying the wild turkey."

      Sincerely,
      Eric
      62d Regt

      On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Jack Kelly <jkelly77sunset@...>wrote:

      > **
      >

      > Has anyone come across a reliable description of the turkey call that
      > Morgan used to rally or gather his men at Saratoga and elsewhere? I've seen
      > it referred to as a shrill whistle, as something made from a turkey bone,
      > and as something he did using only his mouth and no instrument. I'm
      > familiar with modern box and diaphragm calls.
      >
      > Jack Kelly
      > author, Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards & Pyrotechnics

      Sincerely,

      Eric Schnitzer
      Park Ranger / Historian
      Saratoga National Historical Park
      648 Rte 32
      Stillwater, NY 12170
      Phone: 518.670.2981
      Fax: 518.670.2989
      Like us on Facebook! <http://www.facebook.com/saratoganhp>

      *"...I am heartily tired of this Retreating, Raged Starved, lousey,
      thevish, Pockey Army in this unhealthy Country�*

      �Colonel Jeduthan Baldwin, Chief Engineer, Northern Department of the
      Continental Army at Fort Ticonderoga, 17 July 1776