Morgan's turkey call

  • Jack Kelly
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 13, 2013
      Has anyone come across a reliable description of the turkey call that Morgan used to rally or gather his men at Saratoga and elsewhere? I've seen it referred to as a shrill whistle, as something made from a turkey bone, and as something he did using only his mouth and no instrument. I'm familiar with modern box and diaphragm calls.

      Jack Kelly
      author, Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards & Pyrotechnics

    • Schnitzer, Eric
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 14, 2013
        Hi Jack,

        The only known reference to Morgan using the "turkey call" is found in
        James Wilkinson's 1816 memoir. During the timeframe of the Battles of
        Saratoga In 1777, Wilkinson was Lieutenant Colonel and the deputy adjutant
        general of the Northern Department. Although his life during and after the
        war was both chequered and scandalous, Wilkinson's memoir is not without
        great value (he did a lot of research to compile it). But it must be taken
        with great care; if we were to believe that Morgan used of the turkey call,
        we must also believe that Morgan "burst into tears" at the same time he was
        recalling his men with the turkey call.

        As for the devise itself, the only thing Wilkinson adds is that it was an
        "instrument made for decoying the wild turkey."

        Sincerely,
        Eric
        62d Regt

        On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM, Jack Kelly <jkelly77sunset@...>wrote:

        > **
        >

        > Has anyone come across a reliable description of the turkey call that
        > Morgan used to rally or gather his men at Saratoga and elsewhere? I've seen
        > it referred to as a shrill whistle, as something made from a turkey bone,
        > and as something he did using only his mouth and no instrument. I'm
        > familiar with modern box and diaphragm calls.
        >
        > Jack Kelly
        > author, Gunpowder: Alchemy, Bombards & Pyrotechnics

        Sincerely,

        Eric Schnitzer
        Park Ranger / Historian
        Saratoga National Historical Park
        648 Rte 32
        Stillwater, NY 12170
        Phone: 518.670.2981
        Fax: 518.670.2989
        Like us on Facebook! <http://www.facebook.com/saratoganhp>

        *"...I am heartily tired of this Retreating, Raged Starved, lousey,
        thevish, Pockey Army in this unhealthy Country�*

        �Colonel Jeduthan Baldwin, Chief Engineer, Northern Department of the
        Continental Army at Fort Ticonderoga, 17 July 1776