Re: [Revlist] Re: queens rangers sleeved waistcoats

  • Todd Braisted
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 13, 2013
      Simcoe says this in his journal:

      "Theclothing of the Provincials was served by contract; the duties of the Queen'sRangers would have worn out much better they were obliged, by the inclemency ofthe weather, to wear the new ones, without altering. It being determined, for the next year, tocloth the Provincials in red, Major Simcoe exerted himself to preserve theRangers in green, and to procure for them green waistcoats: his purpose was towear the waistcoats with their sleeves during the campaign, and to add sleevesto the shell or outer coat to be worn over the waistcoats in winter: green iswithout comparison the best color for light troops with dark accoutrements; andif put on in the spring, by autumn it nearly fades with the leaves, preservingits characteristic of being scarcely discernable at a distance."

      He is writing about the clothing that will be issued in 1778. But the first purpose made clothing, the stuff that we are familiar with, did not come about until after they were put on the American Establishment as the 1st American Regiment. All or most Provincials went back to green, for a year, in 1779, but the specifics of what they looked like is not clear. How Simcoe was able to "preserve the Rangers in green..." is not clear. There is no correspondence on the subject. There was green clothing in the Provincial store in the summer of 1778, but that was the clothing for 1779, at least primarily, and some of that may have been damaged or disappeared during the first of August 1778 in NYC. And if Simcoe did attach sleeves to waistcoats in 1778, its not clear it that looked exactly like the later clothing.

      I answered the Highland question yesterday in a separate e-mail.

      Todd Braisted
      ivbnnjv@...